Wednesday, February 23, 2011
I did sleep better last night. Until 4:0 AM. Borland’s were up as I could see lights on. Surprise! They stayed on all night. That’s a rarity. We laid there till 5:00 and decided we needed to get up and look over our English Lesson for today. We are just a little nervous about it. We have been so busy that we haven’t really had time to think about English, but today is the day and we are going to have to face the music. Gene and I definitely have different ideas about how to go about this and what needs to be included in the outline. I know I need to support him and will just do as he says. We studied that together for a while.
We left here about 7:30 am and walked with Borland’s over to Bhat Bhatini and then over to show us where the copy center is that they use. Also B.B’s Electric, a little electric shop that has come to the house and has done some work for them. The little shops are right on the street and are very small. The streets are very busy and are just little alleys. It’s really pretty interesting.
Then we went to Bhat Bhatini, a big department store, about the only one in the whole of Kathmandu and not too far from our place. They have a lot of groceries plus about anything else you might want. We are going to go shopping tomorrow with Rajesh Adahakari tomorrow. He is a young Elder getting ready to serve a mission in India and he leaves next week. We wanted to see if we could find some short sleeve white shirts. We found a few but there were all way big for him. We might have to have the tailor make some for him. He leaves on the third of March, so that doesn’t give us much time. He also needs shoes, socks, ties, and a camera. Hopefully, we can find what he needs. Elder Borland is leaving some ties and we will see if he wants some of them. I think he just might. He loves Elder and Sister Borland.
We came home, spent a little time on the computer and got ready to go to school. We were just a little apprehensive. Siyam, the taxi driver they like to use, picked up Deppongs and then picked us up. We arrived at the school and went into the classroom. Those young people all greeted us with “Namaste”. They are all so courteous and respectful. We have assigned a student who is the ‘chairman of the day’. She stood up and welcomed the class and did a wonderful job. Then we had a speech of the day. That student was a little harder to understand but she was trying. Then we assign a word of the day. Today the word was ‘brave.’ The person writes it on the board and then defines the word. He did a good job. We did a spotlight on one of the students and that was fun. Sister Borland had that already planned out and that was helpful.
We are teaching conversational English and today talked about 'can' and 'can’t'. Also ‘have to’ and ‘has to’. We had fun and felt like things went well. Borland’s had told us that we would fall in love with those students quickly and we did. We teach on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so we will see them again next week. The students seemed to have a good day today too.
We returned home and then we went to Nena and Hager’s for a late lunch, early dinner. We met Deppong’s there and we were with Borland’s. We had a delightful lunch, our last one together. Borland’s have been home packing all day. There have been many people dropping by to say their good-byes. They have really had an impact here in the branch and at the Kathmandu Training Center. Also at Nena and Hager’s where they have really gotten to be good customers and made friends there. It was a good meal. I think we will return there often. The food is good and the place is spic and span. And it’s not too far from the house. We walked there today and I think we could do it on our own now. I hope so.
Borlands are leaving tonight at 6:30. Rakesh will drive them to the airport, but they have so many bags (they are paying extra) that they are going to have to take a taxi also. We will miss them a lot, but at the same time, it might be easier and we can get organized and get going with what we need to do.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
I woke up at 2:00 am and laid there until about 5:30 when I went down on the computer for a bit. Just after six, Sister Borland came down.
We talked about more stuff. I don’t know if I will every absorb it. About 8:00 am, I nudged Gene and asked him to come upstairs. I asked him if we could have prayer together. He said it was my turn. I started and got quite weepy. I’m not sure why. Whether it was feeling the spirit, or because Borland’s are leaving and it’s just going to be us, on our own. It scares me a little bit and I’m thinking 17 more months is going to be a long time. I pray for our Heavenly Father’s blessings to be with us, that we can learn and feel comfortable with our assignments.
The phone rang and it was our branch relief society president. She asked if I would teach the Relief Society lesson on Sunday. I told her sure I would. What else could I say? It is a conference address from last conference. Ok, one more thing. Actually, I look forward to it. Last week the lesson was all in Nepali. It won’t be this week. I hope I can involve everyone.
We had a young Elder drop by the House, Elder Adhikari. He is going to India on his mission and leaves next week. I guess one of our responsibilities is to help him get the things he needs before he goes. They have ordered his suit and it will be ready tomorrow, along with four pair of slacks. He still needs to get white shirts, ties, shoes, a camera, socks and a few other things. We are going to go shopping with him on Thursday and see where we are from there.
We went back to KTC (Kathmandu Training Center) for the last time Borland’s will be teaching. Gene learned over and asked if I could see us doing that and I said yes. We won’t do as well as Borland’s but I think we can do the job. We need to loosen up and have a little fun with it. The young people are delightful and so willing to learn. I should be a good experience.
After school we went to the bank to get some rupees and then to drop off a paper at the Social Welfare Council. Then we walked to Thamel, where Borland’s picked up some Ghurka knives to take home. Then we met the Deppongs and had a nice dinner at the Third Eye CafĂ©. It was kind of fancy and very good and really reasonable. After that we came home and went over more stuff.
Here it is: ten o’clock and I’m tired. I hope I can sleep good tonight.
Monday, February 21, 2011
This morning we met with Pana Khadgi. He is a member of the Branch and also the Partner for Hand to Hand. He is the moniter for the Hattikor project and we went over some details of the project. He also came to say good-by to the Borlands. Everyone here has just loved them. There is no way we can even attempt to take their place. We know that and accept it. Hopefully, we can just carry on the work they have started.
After he left we spent quite a bit of time just talking with the Borland’s. We went over a lot of things. I just wish I could remember all they’ve told us. There is really a lot to learn and know, not only with the Humanitarian projects going on, but just living and surviving in Kathmandu. I asked Gene if he felt adventuresome at all and when he asked why, I said if we went wandering around, could he get us back home. We still need to know where a drop off point is that would get us back to somewhat familiar territory. Right now, I wouldn’t dare go one hundred feet away from our gate.
![]() |
| Students in our class at KTC with their English names |
We went to the Kathmandu Training Center today. We had to line up two taxis. One for us and the Borland’s and one for Deppong’s. When we got there, the kids were so polite and kind. It’s always yes sir, and yes madam. Mr Giri, the director and his assistant had a small program outlined to say goodbye to the Borland’s and welcome us. They gave us all flowers and we each gave a couple of speeches. One was an introduction or sorts and the other – well, just whatever we wanted to say. They gave us gifts. They gave Gene a beautiful hand woven big cloth, sort of like a tablecloth. It’s white and had hand painted figures around the edge and in the middle. It’s beautiful. They gave me a hand woven rug and is very Nepali and very pretty. We surely didn’t expect that. There were lots of expressions of gratitude to the Borland’s.
![]() | |
| Mr. Giri, Director, second from left. Elder and Sister Borland, Elder and Sister Deppong, Gene and I |
After the class, Mr. Giri wanted to meet in his office. There was a member of the center’s advisory board and they wanted to talk about a project that LDSC is helping with. It’s been going on for quite a few years and is at 98% completion. They talked with us about what needs to be done to complete it and their wish that it can be completed. LDSC wants to see it completed also.
About 4:45 pm, Rakesh picked us up, took us to meet with Sujata Koirola. (Put her in a google search) Sujata Koirala is a Nepalese politician and the only daughter of former Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala. She was made a minister without portfolio in her father's cabinet in 2008. She was made Foreign Minister under Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal. Sujata was promoted to Deputy Prime Minister on October 12, 2009. She is a good friend of LDSC. (Latter Day Saint Charities)
We arrived at her home. It had a large gate and guards at the entrance. Rakesh drove right in and parked the car. We went to the door, removed our shoes and stepped inside. It was WARM. Most houses are really quite cool. It felt good. She wanted to say good-by to the Borland’s and presented them with a very nice Ghurka knife. They were touched. She has been a good friend of LDSC and Rakesh has helped in that effort. He introduced us to her and that was quite something. She had us served a drink and a cookie. We talked about the trust they have set up to do Humanitarian projects and some of the projects going on. Rakesh works with us on them. We didn’t stay long but it was fun to say we have met her and been in her home.
We were glad to get home and change clothes into something comfortable. It’s been quite a long day. I am finding it hard to really find time to type in my journal and to do the things on the computer I want to do. I guess for now, that is going to have to be secondary.
Sunday, February 20, 2011
It seems really strange to be Sunday and not be the Sabbath. Since Saturday is the Sabbath here, today was just a regular work day. We started the day by going with Sister Borland to Bhat-Bhateni , a store that in just 25 years has grown from a 120 sq. ft. store to become Nepal's no. 1 retail sector tax payer with more than 10,000 customers daily. The store was started in 1984. This ordinary 'single shutter' store has since transformed to become two leading supermarket and departmental stores in Kathmandu. It’s a huge place and sells all kinds of stuff. We just looked at the grocery department today. They had tons of stuff and a lot of stuff we find at home. Kellogs Corn Flakes, Parmesean Cheese, Hunts Spaghetti Sauce. I think we will be fine as far as finding groceries. They did tell us that if we see something we want we had better buy it because they might not have it the next time. And the nice thing about it is, it’s close to our home here.
Then we went to the Bank with Elder and Sister Borland to get the Latter Day Saint Charities account switched over to our names. We had an appointment and as we went in to the Bank, they went over us with a wand, like a metal detector. Then we were taken in to an office where an officer of the Bank looked at our passports and the letter giving Gene Power of Attorney for LDSC. He asked if we had a photograph each. We didn’t have one with us and so had to come home and get one and then return to the bank later with it. Gene will sign and I will co-sign all checks for LDSC. We are going to have to be so careful and really keep good track of all monies spent.
After finishing at the bank, we walked over to Thamel. It’s a tourist spot with lots of little shops selling all kinds of stuff. Borland’s had ordered some Ghurka knives to take home and had come to pick them up. They weren’t quite ready and so we will have to return on Tuesday. Sister Borland also wanted to pick up some bracelets for her grand-daughter. It was fun to look. It’s a shopping place where you need to barter a bit on price for what you want to buy. We didn’t really get to look around much, but I’m sure we will have the chance to do so.
After we left Thamel, we went to Nena and Hager’s for lunch. Its a little meat shop and restaurant that the Borland’s recommend to us. It’s very clean and a safe place to buy our meat. We had lunch there and it was very good. Borland’s have established a friendship with the owners and she was sad to hear they were leaving in the next couple of days. They introduced us and I’m sure we will be going back there quite often.
![]() |
| Relief Society Branch going away party for Borland's |
We came home for a bit and then it was time to go to the church for a Relief Society Social. The Sister’s wanted their own farewell party for the Borland’s. They had a small program and then we went to the Relief Society room where they had a luncheon prepared. It was great. They had a huge pot of rice, some kind of cauliflower dish (it was sliced vertical and was real yellow in color) I was a little apprehensive about it, but it was very good. They also had some Mo Mos, a traditional Nepali dish, some beans of some sort and some chicken chunks with a mild curry flavor. It was all good and not spicy at all. They did that especially for us Americans. It was fun. I’ve really been trying to get a few names down and am making a little progress.
We were able to return home and change into some comfy clothes. Oh, that felt good. The power was turned off about 5:00 pm and so it was a long night. I think we went to bed about 7:30. I’m not sure what we are going to do. The power is off more than it is on – it will be a challenge.
We read a little bit and then went to bed. I woke up about 1:00 am and was wide awake, so decided to get up and come finish putting pictures on the blog while there was power on. Bart saw I was online and he called on Skype. Then I saw Craig and Tracey were on, so I called them. They were tickled and we chatted for a few minutes. I also Skyped with Alison and Jason. It was a good time to talk to the kids as it was early afternoon in the states. I tried to call Brent but without success. I will be glad when he gets his new laptop with Skype installed on it. About 2:00 am, the power went off and I did stay up a while longer, getting the blog finished, then went back to bed. I had a hard time getting warm. I didn’t sleep very sound after that, but did doze a little.



2 comments:
Wow, there you are, the Esplins in Nepal. Looks like it's absolutely beautiful there and you are just diving into the work. How wonderful.
Is that my Sarita in the back???? Please do give her a BIG hug from me!
I just happened on your blog. It is so fun to hear about Nepal from a missionary's perspective. I lived there as a mom with my 4 small children. It was the happiest time of my life. There a large part of me that still wants to be in Nepal. It is such a special place! Cherish it, with or without electricity :)
Post a Comment