Wednesday, November 30, 2011

 30 November 2011

What a night! I woke up before eleven, shivering. I would fluctuate between chills and being too hot. I got up and took a couple of Ibuprofen and that helped a little. The night was spent in that cycle with just a little diarrhea thrown in. And then I was just achy. I asked myself ‘why now?’ I can’t imagine what I ate. We were with Browns and Deppong’s all day. Sometimes, I think I need to swear off Nena’s. It seems like I get sick a lot when we go there. And that’s the place that cater’s for foreigners and is across from the Embassy.

Gene went over to the wheelchair training and I stayed home. Laxmi went and got me some medicine and it’s now about 4:00 pm and I’m still not great. I sure hope this doesn’t last long. We have looked forward to the training for months and I want to be part of it.  There’s a couple more days training here, then Church on Saturday and head over to Chitwan on Sunday for three days of training there.
Wheelchair Training in progress.....
29 November 2011

We met Deppong’s, Brown’s and Tyler at Mike’s for Breakfast. Gene and I both had omelets and they were great. Rakesh was also there to chat for a few minutes about the wheelchair training tomorrow. After eating our fill, we got a couple of taxis and took our chances that Raj would be at READ Nepal (Leprosy clinic).

He was there. We arrived first and he was sitting outside READ Nepal working on his computer. He is always happy to see us and when Deppong’s arrived with the Brown’s, introductions were made and he gave them a tour of the place. I think they were impressed. Raj has so many problems of his own, (he is in kidney failure and is on dialysis four times a day, among other things) but he keeps on giving and trying to help those less fortunate. He truly is a hero and such a good example for all of us. Rakesh did call us and said that we couldn’t get into the venue for wheelchair training until 3:00 p.m.
Raj, the founder of READ Nepal, (leprosy)
Leper patient, soaking his infected foot....
Little girl staying there, having breakfast
Washing clothes, a break while photo taken....
By this time it’s about 11:30. We decided we had time to go to Pushupati Temple and its right there close. We paid our tickets and went in. We soon decided we needed a guide and Ollie went to get one. And he was great! It’s so much better with someone who can tell you what’s going on. We learned that there are over 33,000,000 Gods. How can one personally know you and care about you? He told us lots of stuff and it was very interesting. He said they cremate average 58 bodies there every day. Everything is swept into the river and it’s the most holy river in Nepal and flow into India. People come in the early morning to bath and even drink the water. Oh, if you could see it, you would wonder how they ever survive that. They truly must have a tough immune system.

We went with Brown’s to their hotel and Tyler went with Deppongs. We were going to meet at the venue at 3:00 to set up. We were helping Brown’s with their stuff and show them the way. In the taxi, the phone rang and Rakesh said there was a wedding going on at the place and we couldn’t get in till 5:00. We came to our home and then talked to Sister Deppong and decided to go to Nena and Hager’s for a sandwich. We did that and then went to set up.

The wedding was still going on. The band was really playing and it was loud. They did bring out chairs for us to sit on while we waited, and there was a couple of Nepali men who came over and motioned for Gaye, Debbie and I to go with him, to see the wedding party I guess. We finally did. I think they just like to show Americans what they do. It was interesting for a minute. I guess the wedding started about 9:00 and they had been there all day. So, that made it even later when we were able to start.

Finally, the wedding party cleared out and we got set up for tomorrow’s training. Most of what we did was assemble wheelchairs. We finished and got home about 7:30 (it felt like 9:30). Gaye couldn’t find her camera as we were getting ready to leave and we were sure that it had ‘walked off’. What a relief it was when we got home and received a phone call, that when she got to the hotel, dumped out her bag, that the camera was there. Relief – for all of us. We will sleep better knowing she found it.

It’s been a great day – the rest of the week will be an adventure and we are happy to be able to be part of it.

28 November, 2011

Brown’s arrived today. We went to meet them at the airport. They didn’t come and they didn’t come. Finally the phone rang and we had somehow missed them, they were at their hotel. We got a taxi and headed over there. They have another younger physical therapist with them. His name is Tyler and he said we looked so familiar. We are wondering if we might have crossed paths at Pioneer Valley Lodge. He said he did spend quite a bit of time there. We are so excited they are all here.

 We had dinner with them tonight at their hotel. They are staying at the Shanker Hotel. It is a very old hotel, with lots of wood carving around doors, columns, etc. Dinner was in a nice elegant room. The company was great – the food was okay, but not great! We did have a fun visit and that’s the most important thing.

Tomorrow they are going on the Mountain Flight with Deppongs and in the afternoon we will get set up for the wheelchair training to start on Wednesday. Should be a fun week.

27 November 2011

It’s been a girl’s shopping day today and we had a great time. We left home about 10:00 and went to Assin Bazaar. I’m sure I didn’t spell that right.) That’s where Rukmina and Laxmi go. They say a lot of stuff is sold at wholesale. We had so much fun. I found tablecloths for a very good price (250 rupees apiece.) We had a good time looking through them.
Beautiful fabrics and tableclothes
 We looked at a lot of stuff and saw lots of people and motorcycles. We also saw, and this made me so sad and my heart ache, many people, men and women carrying very heavy loads on their backs. Rukmina said that’s the only way goods get into the markets there. We did see one young man with five pretty good size boxes tied together on his back. He was sitting in the middle of the little street and other men were trying to help him up. When he got up he was a little wobbly and I can’t see how he could carry that load. And I’m sure they just get paid pennies to do it. It really is sad. You know why these people are stooped over in their old age.
Many heavy loads carried on their backs
Lots of pretty shawls and wraps for the colder weather
All kinds of beads and jewelry - some very expensive, some not so..
Chickens all over the place - awaiting their fate.
All kinds of things for sale...
Kate came and met us. We found some fabric shops and I bought fabric for a wrap skirt. It is a brown print and will go with my brown jacket. Debbie also bought fabric for a couple of skirts.

Sister Deppong wanted to check on the price of towels for the hygiene kits. Rakesh said the price had gone up to 125 rupees. That was through the women’s sewing centers. Well, we did find some nice towels, really better quality than the ones Rakesh had been getting for us, and they were only 55 rupees apiece. Hum! That makes us think just a little bit. That makes the ones through Rakesh more than twice the price. I’m glad Debbie will be the one talking to him. But it is the Lord’s money and we need to be careful how we spend it and get the most for our dollar.

Then we headed to Kentucky Fried Chicken. There were five of us and we all packed into one taxi. It was a little comical really, but it wasn’t a long distance and we did fine. We enjoyed lunch there and then piled into one taxi again and went to the little tailor shop we go to. We were measured for our skirts and then Laxmi and I walked home.

On the way we saw a truck decorated a lot like the wedding cars. Laxmi said she thought someone had died – did I want to watch. I told her no and we walked home. As we crossed Ring Road there was the funeral truck. Laxmi told me that ‘caste’ when someone died; they dressed the body in new clothes and celebrated the life – waiting a couple of days before the cremation took place. It was pretty interesting.

No comments: