Thursday, March 24, 2011
We welcomed Elder and Sister Sackley to Nepal this morning. We started the day with Breakfast at the Shangri La Hotel. Rakesh Hamel arranged it for us and we were delighted the Sujata Koirala was able to join us. We had met her a few weeks back. She is quite an influential person here in Nepal. We had a wonderful buffet breakfast and visit.
Pictured above, Elder Deppong, Elder Esplin, Elder Sackley, Rakesh Hamal, Sujata Koirala, Sister Sackley, Sister Esplin and Sister Deppong.
After breakfast we, Sackley’s, and Deppongs came back to our home and spent the day in Welfare training. We went over a ton of stuff. There’s so much to learn. Again, I’m feeling a bit like being in front of that fire hose we have talked about. For one thing, we learned that there is a legal team at our disposal in Hong Kong and any documents and agreements with the government here in Nepal, we should have Hong Kong take a look at. I wish we would have known that a couple of days ago. Next time we will know and take advantage of that. The information we gained today was all good.
Tonight we all went to dinner at the Third Eye in Thamel. Thamel is very busy at night. We walked the streets for just a bit and then returned home. It’s been a big day. Tomorrow is church and after church we have a couple of baptisms, then over to Deppongs for dinner and more training. Sounds fun, huh?
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
We got the new mattress pad and fitted sheet last night. Gene and I made the bed, putting one of the heavy fleece blankets under the mattress pad. We slept great!. I guess I should say I slept great. Gene said he couldn’t tell all that much difference. One thing we noticed….it’s getting warmer. I’m starting to put my feet out. The day temperatures are just delightful with temperatures 75 to 80. There’s lots of stuff in blossom. We have a beautiful bush of some kind right outside our front door. I love it, as well as other flowers around our yard. I know at home you are still seeing stormy weather and are looking forward to spring. May this photo brighten your day.
| Just outside our front door. |
Gene and I spent all morning putting together additional information for an amendment to the Chanute Water Project Agreement for the Social Welfare Council. We are grateful for inspiration at times like this. We extend a big ‘Thanks’ to Neeti Sherpa at the SWC, who gave us a rough draft of what the Council was wanting. Gene was good at putting things together and hopefully, I was good at typing things up on the computer.
We did need to put in some tables and I hadn’t really done that before. It was a learning experience, but we got through it. We printed it out and read through it and both thought it sounded okay. We thought we would sit on it just a bit before taking it over to the SWC.
We walked over to Bhat Bhetani and bought a few groceries. We talked to a couple of young women from the USA. One from Wyoming and the other from North Carolina. They are working with one of the universities here doing some research. It’s always good to find some Americans to talk to. We came home, and then headed to the SWC. The man there looked over the Amendment and I guess it had what he wanted. He told us to sit and he would be back. He returned a few minutes later and said that he had registered it. I know that Dr. Llama still needs to sign it, but hopefully, we have included what they needed.
We also stopped at Standard Charter Bank and withdrew some more rupees. With everything done in cash and all the LDSC monies going through us, it takes lots and lots of rupees. We are reimbursed for most of it, but still, it takes a lot to keep things going.
We stopped at Nena and Hager’s and had a smoked chicken sandwich. It tasted good. We bought some sugar while we were there and also some chicken. I also saw some ready to eat smoked chicken breast so we bought some and thought we would try it.
We came home, feeling like we have put in a day. I went up and laid on the bed and read for a little bit. Gene was still in the office finishing up a few things. Tonight, we made another batch of zucchini bread. We will need something on hand for a snack while Sackley’s are here doing training with us.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
We are in the habit of lying in bed and reading our scriptures. Perhaps that started when the house was really cold and we hated to get out of bed. The house is warming up, but still, it’s not a bad place to read. And we like reading on our Ipods. You can see whether the electricity is on or not. Nice!
We worked on getting some emails sent, then making sure our packets for our visa applications were again complete. Rakesh stopped in for a few minutes. He would like to arrange a wheel chair distribution for next week in Pokhra. We would like to go. We hear it’s beautiful there. By the time he left, it was time to call the Ministry of Women and Children and see if our letter for the Home Ministry was ready. They said it was and we could come about noon. Loxmi went with us again (thankfully). The wait to get in the gate was nothing like last time. It wasn’t bad at all. Then we walk to the Ministry of Women and Children. That’s a pretty good hike.
At first the man acted like there was a problem. I said a prayer in my heart, wanting this to go smoothly. He was looking at the wrong page. Things were fine. The only thing we weren’t too happy about was they will only give us a six month visa instead of a year – something about a year going beyond the end of the three year agreement. I guess that’s okay as we will have to go through this again anyway. He gave us the paper and told us to take it to the Home Ministry.
We didn’t know where that was, but Loxmi asked and we were directed. We walked, and walked, and walked annnnnd walked. Almost felt like Pioneer children. We finally got there. We walked past the White House here in Nepal. It’s equivalent to the White House in Washington DC. It is huge. And it’s all within a big walled compound. We walked past that to the Home Ministry. It was a little nicer building and we walked upstairs to the third floor.
Today I’m repenting. I have seen computers in most of the offices. They are the big box kind, but a couple of the monitors we nice. The people in the Home Ministry had computers. As they were looking through our papers, and asking for more papers, again, I thought there might be a problem, Again, I’m saying a prayer, and again, everything was fine. They said they would have the letter to go back to the Ministry of Women’s and Children’s ready for us in two days and that we could send Loxmi back for it.
So, that’s as far as we got today. And we were grateful to get that done. Just before we had left the house, SWC called and said they needed some additional information and they needed it today. Thankfully Gene knew where the paperwork was and we stuck it in our bag. After getting our visa stuff finished, we went to the Social Welfare Council. Gene told Loxmi and me we would wait for him, but we decided to go with him. And good thing!
They had lots of questions on a couple of projects that were being amended. They want us to write clearly more information. There was a woman who came into the man’s office. Her name is Neeti Sherpa, and she speaks good English. She was telling Gene what was required. When we left the man’s office, we saw here and she wrote down in an outline form just what we need. Gene feels that we can supply the information for them. They would like it back tomorrow. We will see if we can. Gene reminded me that there are no coincidences and we were really glad that Neeti Sherpa walked in when she did – and that after we had left the man’s office, Neeti outlined for us, just what he wanted. It was a huge help.
We walked to the bank and withdrew some money, then caught a taxi and came home. I was really tired and think Loxmi was too. I had worn good comfortable shoes, but hers were not made for walking. Next time, perhaps we should wear hiking boots. When we got home, I fixed us a sandwich and then Deppongs came over. We talked a bit about an agenda for when Sackley’s will be here. We do need all the training they can give us.
About 5:30 pm. Rakesh and Karshima came to give us some project reports and answer a few questions and to sign a couple of project agreements. I was ready to call it a day.
They left and Deppongs left also. We fixed a bit of spaghetti and had a candlelight dinner and decided we had worked a long enough day. We will get up in the morning and work on the information for the SWC. I can see the rest of the week is going to be very busy. This mission life if very busy indeed.
Monday, March 21, 2011
I woke up about 6:00 am and remembered its Sunday evening in the USA. I looked at my IPod touch and saw it was past 7:30 pm at Brent’s place. I got up and started getting dressed. Gene was downstairs before me and I could hear him talking. I came down and he was visiting via Skype with Craig and Tracey. Marlene was even there. We chatted with them a few minutes when Brent called (and we were going to call him). He’s doing great. This is his last week in Grand Island and he is sure happy about that. He will leave there about noon on Friday, and head to Phoenix. He will drive his Yukon and tow his little sports car behind. He plans on getting to Phoenix on Sunday. He will sure be glad to get there and find a house and get moved in. It will take a little time, but it’s all good.
After talking with him, we called Craig and Tracey back. It was good to visit with them. Then Alison called and we also talked with Chad and Konnie. It was much better than last time. Their picture was clear and we just had a good visit. I’ve enjoyed talking with them all. Sure makes the world a whole lot smaller.
I don’t know if it was because of the rain last night or what, but we got power early today. It was great! I flipped on the geyser and then had a shower. I helped Gene with a couple of things in the office, then decided that while we had power, I would make some more zucchini bread. I found the Mixmaster and it took me a little bit to locate the beaters but finally found them and mixed up the bread. I made two loaves this time. They turned out great. I think I’m getting the hang of this toaster oven.
Loxmi called about our visas and they weren’t ready, but said to call back tomorrow. We have heard this story before – so we will wait and call again tomorrow.
We sent Elder Ko an email about the Windows 7 on our new computer not being a genuine copy. It wasn’t long till we got an email back. He had forwarded it to someone else asking them to check on it ASAP. Hopefully something will happen. Chad said he didn’t think we would lose files, just wouldn’t be able to update files or security concerns. I guess it’s a common thing in third world countries to use illegal copies of software all the time.
This afternoon, Bimala and Sajana came to have us look over their application for education assistance through the church. They are a couple of young single sisters, return missionaries, who would like some financial help furthering their education. Gene and I helped them. It was fun to have them here. They are cute young women. I asked Bimala, who is studying cosmetology if she could cut hair and she said yes. I told her I would be calling her. She said Sister Deppong had asked her the same thing.
Dipak, our auditor came, also another guy to download the Tally software (for the auditor) on the computer. I gave them each a piece of bread and they said how good it was. It was nice to have something homemade instead of the hard store bought cookies.
Tonight we cooked some spaghetti and had a candlelight dinner. I had diced a carrot and zucchini and precooked them before adding it to the sauce. It tasted pretty good. About like home.
Deppongs have been great. They know we are under a lot of pressure with the Final Evaluation, the two year agreement coming up and the PAC Meeting, all coming at the same time. They have volunteered to teach English at KTC, giving us a reprieve from that. We are grateful. That sure takes a load off.
Loxmi and Jessice went shopping this afternoon and when they returned, it wasn’t long and Loxmi came in the house and we chatted a few minutes. Then she pulled out a small paper bag. In it were two little bead necklaces. She gave them to me. That was an expected surprise. I graciously accepted and told her that I had noticed most of the women wear beads. She said that when a woman get’s married, she wears beads. It tells others that she has a husband. I was glad to know that and will surely wear them. She is really a good person.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
We have done office work most of the day. It seems like it goes on and on. I also looked over my talk for Relief Society Social this afternoon. When it was time, Gene walked me over. It was to start at 3:00. Rukmina and Loxmi (both in the Presidency) were there, but no one else. They finally started coming. True to form and the Nepali way, finally, the meeting started at 4:00 pm, just an hour late. I’m trying to learn patience. I was one of three speakers, all of us talking about Relief Society. Then we had a pot luck luncheon. I had volunteered to take a pasta salad and wondered all week what I would put in it. Finally, I decided to cook some chicken, dice it up, add some apples, pineapple, grapes and a little red onion. Then poured Ranch dressing over it all. Actually it tasted pretty good. The party was fun and the food good. I am still pretty careful about what I eat. Anything that wasn’t cook or peeled, I steered away from. My stomach seems pretty sensitive.
I called Gene to see if he would walk over to meet me. He said he would if I was ready. I was first to leave, but it was threatening rain and getting a little dark. He was at Ring Road when I got there. We got back to the house and Gene told me that Rakesh was bringing the man who was going to write the Final Evaluation for us. Mr. Rimal of the SWC was also coming. Gene had bought a package of cookies at the little market by the house and also a bottle of Coke. He even had the cookies on a plate ready to go.
They came and I got drinks and some cookies and excused myself. They were here 45 minutes or so. They talked about what needed to be done for the Final Evaluation. Gene is feeling pretty good about things. He said there is still some information he needs to pull together, but is confident he can do so. That is sure good news to me.
We had some rain complete with thunder and lightning. Some of it seemed pretty close as it was very loud. The rain is refreshing. This is the first since we have been here. Monsoon season is going to be interesting; they said it doesn’t rain all day, but every day it rains some and I know they get a lot of rain those few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment