Saturday, March 19, 2011

Today is the Sabbath Day here in Nepal. It is also a a Festival called Holi Day. It celebrates the triumph of Krishna over a demoness named Holika. The celebration of her destruction evolved into the present day practice of throwing red powder and balloons filled with dye at people. Supposedly only people who want to play are legal targets, but foreigners often seem to be fair game no matter what. The main day of this celebration is on the full moon (today) and crowds of men covered head to foot in red powder dance and sing in the streets.

You can see why we were very hesitant about attending our church meetings today. Gene told me he thought I should stay home as women especially are targets. He had also thought about staying home, but our Branch President called and said he would send his car to pick Gene up. He did go. There wasn't many in attendance and Sacrament Meeting was the only meeting held. Gene also got a ride home, so he go by unscathed.

While he was gone, I looked up a couple of General Conference talks and was really touched by one given By Elder Holland in General Conference last fall. He thanked members around the world for their prayers and he said, and now I'm quoting:

"Because my name will be included on that list, may I be so bold as to speak for all in thanking you in advance for those uplifted hands. Not one of us could serve without your prayers and without your support. Your loyalty and your love mean more to us than we can ever possibly say.

In that spirit my message today is to say that we sustain you, that we return to you those same heartfelt prayers and that same expression of love. We all know there are special keys, covenants, and responsibilities given to the presiding officers of the Church, but we also know that the Church draws incomparable strength, a truly unique vitality, from the faith and devotion of every member of this Church, whoever you may be. In whatever country you live, however young or inadequate you feel, or however aged or limited you see yourself as being, I testify you are individually loved of God, you are central to the meaning of His work, and you are cherished and prayed for by the presiding officers of His Church. The personal value, the sacred splendor of every one of you, is the very reason there is a plan for salvation and exaltation. Contrary to the parlance of the day, this is about you. No, don’t turn and look at your neighbor. I am talking to you!

I have struggled to find an adequate way to tell you how loved of God you are and how grateful we on this stand are for you. I am trying to be voice for the very angels of heaven in thanking you for every good thing you have ever done, for every kind word you have ever said, for every sacrifice you have ever made in extending to someone—to anyone—the beauty and blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ." 

I have been asked to give a little talk at our Relief Society Birthday Celebration tomorrow. I thought I had it prepared, but as I read Elder Holland's talk today, I thought it important for these dear sisters here in Nepal, to know that the Prophet and the Quorum of the Twelve are praying for them. I know that thought really touched me.

Gene returned home. There weren't too many there and they just help Sacrament Meeting. Our meeting block is 10 - 1. He came home hungry so we made some French toast. Tasted pretty good. This afternoon, we went up on the roof balcony and watched people for a few minutes. We did see a lot of young men, colored with a lot of red powder. They were quite noisy as well. Sounded like they had a good time.

It has been a pretty quiet day, but a good day. It's been a change of pace day and I think we both needed it. We will be ready for a big week coming up.

1 comment:

Kerren said...

We love reading your blog and hearing about your experiences! You are doing a great job of documenting this adventure, and it is inspirational to those of us who love you!
Skyping was a great event! Thanks for all you do and who you are! Love you two! Kerren & Bruce