Tuesday, April 19, 2011
We’ve had a pretty busy day. We have both spent the day on the computers. I’ve answered emails to President Jackson, getting some Branch History information together for him. Also sending him more information for the young people wanting funding help for school. About 9:00 I’m thinking Gene might want something for breakfast, so because we had power, I made a batch of Apple Bran Muffins. They smelled good and tasted good too. I was happy to have them on hand, as Rakesh dropped by and also Sajana stopped by. It’s good to have something to serve them.
We had a pleasant surprise this morning when my boss, Sue Fuhriman sent a request to us for Skype. Of course I accepted and before I knew it, we were talking together. What a good visit we had. She was amazed (as I always am) at how it all works – to be half way around the world and yet talk and see each other, and all for free. It really is amazing. We talked for over an hour and I even took the laptop outside and showed her the yard and pretty flowers. What a good time we had.
I had sent an email to the Service Center in India, to see if there was some way to get these printers to scan in an editable document. Sunil, from India called me and walked me through putting TeamViewer on the main computer here. He took control of the desktop and was looking at printer information online when our power went out and we lost the internet. I tell you, it sure complicates things and makes it a challenge. Since I was also on the phone with him, he told me to send him an email when we get back online. Well, a couple of hours later, we got our connection back, but by then, he was in a meeting. He had send a flash drive to President Bishnu and he is going to have me back up everything on my portable drive and then install the version of Windows 7 that the church uses worldwide. I’m a little nervous about it and hope I know what I’m doing. It’s one thing to back it up and I feel like it will be another to get it back on the desktop.
We have had a good rainstorm today. I know, it’s nothing compared to what all of you at home are experiencing. Actually, it was quite nice to have it here. For one thing, we usually get a little more power when it rains, so hopefully….. I understand it’s about wet enough to plant rice at home. We hope all is well and that the flooding that’s coming, won’t give any of you grief. Before you know it, the grass will need moving and the garden’s will need to be planted.
Monday, April 18, 2011
It’s been quite a frustrating day. It started out that way and continued most of the afternoon. The inverter went off last night (it gives us power to run the computer when load shedding shuts our electricity off)and this morning we woke up, still without power, and didn’t have any internet access either. I don’t know why I was surprised, it happens quite often. But, I was disappointed because we usually try to talk with Brent every week. Gene was looking trying to find out why the inverter went off. We couldn’t find any reason, I guess just because we are in Nepal. The power came on about 9:00 am and we got internet. We talked to Brent for a minutes and then the power blinked off and we lost the connection again. We were finally able to establish a connection and talk with him for a bit. He had a bit of trouble last week as he forgot to lock his Yukon and his wallet, credit cards, driver’s license and other stuff were stolen. He got things taken care of, and learned a good lesson. That seems to happen to all of us at some time or another.
I asked him about his house offer and he said they have settled on a price and will do an inspection on Tuesday. He’s hoping that he can move-in in three weeks or so. I know he is anxious to get settled.
I called Chad via Skype and asked him about our internet connection. It’s a default connection and isn’t secure. Imagine there are people in our neighborhood enjoying internet access off our account. I’ve been thinking we need to get that changed but didn’t know how to go about it. Chad, bless his heart, took remote control of my computer and with both of us, we did get it set. Now it’s secure, with a password. I feel a lot better about that.
Gene and I have spent the day on the Final Evaluation. Again! We had a fellow write it but there were a lot of things Gene thought we should add. We had to scan a bunch of documents in as jpg files. Not my favorite thing to do. Then we were having all kinds of trouble because the ‘text wrapping’ wasn’t working and we couldn’t get the curser to the bottom of the page. We spent quite a bit of time. Finally, I decided to repeatedly hit enter, then go up in the document and paste the image in. That was inspiration as it worked well.
I know someone is reading this and wondering why I was having so much trouble. I have thought I was pretty good on the computer, but I’ve looked and looked at this printer and don’t find any way I can scan something as an editable document. Sure would be easier. Anyway, we got it together and sent it to Hong Kong to have them look it over before we print it off and give it to the Team Leader. We decided to hand it in and then they will start asking us questions and telling us what more they want. It’s a starting place anyway.
Sunday, April 17, 2011
We went to the bank first thing this morning. Our cash (rupees)reserve had been depleted after paying the expenses for the Evaluation Team to go to Chitwan. Rakesh needs money to pay for towels for Hygiene kits and we had to get them going. We had a good size reimbursement check and also needed to deposit our share of the rent.
Then we went over to the church and watch the Sunday Session of General Conference. I really enjoyed it. I guess it was because they didn’t stop between talks and interpret. There was a small group of Saints there, only about 20. And they could speak English. Many times, I felt the spirit and tears would come. It really gives me the desire to do and be better. I did receive the impression that our Father in heaven loves each of us. I’m just so grateful for that knowledge.
We did have lunch between sessions. The Relief Society was looking at the amount of food. I knew she was wondering if there was enough and I reminded her of the loaves and the fishes. I have seen that miracle many times and it worked today. There was plenty of food and it was tasty. We are trying to get a little braver and try some of the Nepali food. I just told Gene to be sure he eats only stuff that has been cooked. After lunch we watched the Sunday afternoon session and enjoyed it a lot. It seemed the talks were all so good and gave us lots to think about. We got home about 3:30 pm.
Maya, another young returned missionary, came with Sajana, and filled out her application for education funds. This is a new program sort of like the PEF program that they are trying out here in Nepal. President Jackson, our mission president, has been concerned about these young people and especially Maya. President Bishnu really wants to see her in school. He came to sign her application and said let’s do what it takes to see she has the opportunity to get an education. He told us he would be willing to personally see that her living expenses would be taken care of.
I got her application scanned in and sent to President Jackson and also to Floyd Ko. Hopefully, they will act on it quickly. There is another session of the school (cosmetology) starting the first of May. This is the same school Bimala and Sajana are going to. Maya is a cute girl and we think she has had a hard life. We don’t know much about her, but know that she does live with an elderly aunt. I hope this works out for her. These are all choice young people and other than their full time missions, just haven’t had many opportunities. We are so excited the church is giving them this opportunity.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Yesterday I made Rice Krispie Treats to take to church. I was supposed to take something for dessert, for pot luck, but it’s a little hard when you just have a toaster oven and harder still, when you don’t have power. Today we watched a DVD of General Conference. There were quite a few there and it was nice to see so many. Brother Kim, our friend that we met at Pizza Hut some weeks ago was there. It was so good to see him. He seemed so excited to hear there was a Branch in Kathmandu, but we haven’t seen him at church and wondered what happened to him. We welcomed him and he told us his wife and daughter are in Korea and won’t be back for six weeks of so. He seemed to really enjoy the association with the Saints and we hope to see him again.
Conference was a good experience and the spirit was strong. They played the whole thing – stopping after each talk for the interpretation in Nepali. It took quite a bit more time that way, but this conference if for the Saints here. They are the ones who need it. Gene and I can read and hear it online. The morning session was almost three hours long. I was getting a little TB. We enjoyed a pot luck lunch. Gene and I were brave and had some of the Nepali stuff and really enjoyed it. I know we are being brace but careful too as we only had things that had been cooked. I would like to learn to cook a few Nepali dishes.
There was a lady there who came and introduced herself. She said her name was Moon. She asked about Borland’s and how long we have been here. She has a daughter, probably about 16-17. She said they hadn’t been to church for a while but her daughter wanted to come, liked how she felt when here at church. Later, I asked Rukmina (the Relief Society President) about her. They are not members but have come on and off for a bit. Mrs. Moon seemed really nice, spoke some English and asked if she could come visit. I told her ‘sure’. She asked if Monday would be okay. I told her that would be great. Since she’s not a member we will have to be careful. I thought I would ask Laxmi to join in our visit. Rukmina and Sister Deppong gave me some advice. They said the Nepali’s love to come, but be sure and tell her we only have an hour and then have an appointment, otherwise they stay forever.
The afternoon session didn’t have nearly as many people in attendance. I did enjoy it a lot. The talks were very good. They will broadcast the Sunday sessions tomorrow (on Sunday here). I don’t expect there will be a very big crowd as it’s a normal work and school day. I made some no bake cookies to take tomorrow. I would like to take something else, but we haven’t had much power lately. None when we got home and none till 1-4 AM. I don’t think I will get up for that. The no bake will work just fine.
As I sat through conference, I was touched several times by the Spirit. I know I need to try harder to be and do better. Especially with our missionary work. It’s a challenge for me. I know we can’t proselyte and we do spend a lot of time in the office. Sometimes, I wonder just what my role is. I know I want to go home, feeling good about our time in Nepal. After all, we just get one chance here.
Friday, April 15, 2011
We got an email from Brent. He said he had looked at about 45 different properties and had finally settled on a price of one. Now it will go through an inspection and then he will once again, have a part of the American dream. This house is in Glendale. He sent a sheet, with info and pictures. Looks pretty nice. We know he is anxious to get settled in his own place.
We talked to President Jackson last night via Skype. He would like us to send him via email a copy of the Branch History. I told him I would see what I could find. He also gave us some good news. We have four returned missionaries who have applied for a new program being tested in this Area. It’s called the International Resource Development Fund and it helps provide funds for these young people to go to school. Three of the four applications have been approved. Now, Pres. Jackson and Hong Kong need to know exactly how to get the funds to the school. The students have checked and said the school would accept foreign funds. Now they need to know exactly how to do that.
I called Sajana and told her and she was so happy. She needs to get right on it as her course in cosmetology begins in two weeks. Also GC and Bikki’s applications were approved. Bimala is currently in school and they are still looking at her application. We are excited about that.
I spent quite a bit of time today going through two binders sifting History. There are a lot of pictures and he said he didn’t want them. I’ve typed up some stuff and hope to have it ready to send to him on Monday.
Dipok, the auditor for LDSC, came today and spent about three hours going over financial stuff. It’s a standard type thing he does. Gene spent the time with him and I took the laptop upstairs and worked on the Branch History for Pres. Jackson. Dipok told us he has just accepted a new job, but he will continue to do our books. We are glad for that.
Mrs Thapa came today to collect the rent. It’s paid quarterly. We have a lease that is up in July and she told us there would be a rent increase of 15%. Gene told her we would have to check with our supervisors. He told her they would go 10% but didn’t know about 15%. Elder Borland said she settled last time for 10%. Hopefully, she will this time. It’s a good thing we can do this under contract. Deppongs are month to month and their landlord id always wanting an increase, in fact, this month, they wanted a 100% increase. They finally settled on a price much lower than the 100%, but to go through that each month would be nerve wracking.
No comments:
Post a Comment