30 September, 2011 few light showers this PM
We were so tired we went to bed early. Our bed felt good after the bed we slept in last night.I slept pretty good till about 4:30, then lay awake for a while I got our of bed and felt like I had been run over by a truck. I guess that's what I get for walking at least 12 miles yesterday, up hill and down. And I do mean UP and DOWN. I wasn't as sore as I had thought I might be, but still it was a little hard to get going this morning.
Karin from CHOICE Humanitarian came about 7:30 AM, to talk about new water projects. I had made some bran muffins so I would have something to serve him and he enjoyed them a lot.
This morning Rakesh called to remind us that we needed to be down to the Department of Immigration to get our visas about 11L00. How could we forget that? We went and HOORAY! After jumping through a few hoops there and paying a whole lot of money, we got our visa’s stamped. We are breathing a sigh of relief. We have been just a little bit worried about this. Gene and I could have gotten a tourist visa, but Deppongs would have been on a jet plane to Bangkok or somewhere till January 1. We appreciate so many prayers in our behalf and also the help of Rakesh. We couldn’t have done it without him. We took Laxmi with us and they took Hari and Rukmina with them. And they were happy to do it and the people at immigration don’t want to talk to us, they want to talk to a Nepali. We are just so happy to have the stamp, good until 30 September 2012. We won’t have to deal with this again and that makes us happy. To celebrate we all went to lunch at Pizza Hut. It tasted so good. Then it was back home and wait for the doctor to call saying ‘come, let’s take out your staples.’
| This little stamp really made our day! |
Preteek, from READ Nepal called today wondering about the English class. I told her we felt really bad, that Gene just had surgery and there was lots of stuff going on. I explained that it looked like it would be the end of October before we could start. Also that we were going to be having visitors from the US come in conjunction with Water Projects and Wheelchair Training. Also we are going to Manila the middle of November and that will take care of a week. She said that was okay-that the women were anxious to get started. We are too – and I told her because we are starting late, we will extend the time frame and go longer. We would like to get going, but, boy, things are piling up.
After three, Gene called the doctor and he said he had tried to call several times. Our phone didn’t ring. He said if we wanted to, to just go to the hospital and to the emergency room and the doctor there would remove the staples. We went right over and they took them out. In a couple of days, he can take the bandage off. That will be a good day for him. He’s anxious to do that.
On the way home, we stopped at the tailor’s and picked up a pair of pants I had made. I came home and tried them on and they fit great. I’m so happy. I did take my gray pair and will have them take them in. I should be fine now. We are wearing pants a little more than we were – and I will be glad to have them when the kids are here. It’s has been a good day.
29 September 2011 Foggy and misty early, then mostly cloudy
Ranjit knocked on our door at 4:45 am to go on a hike to see the sunrise on the Himalayas. We got up, got dressed and headed out the door. It was pretty foggy and misty. Being leaders, I felt that we didn’t have any choice but to go. Most of the youth went and Elder and Sister Deppong went also. Ranjit had told Sister Deppong it was all on the road and she could do it. Remember she is sight impaired. She is a trooper and up for anything. Well, he told the truth, it was all on a paved road, but it was up and down and parts of it were very steep. It seemed we walked forever. He said it was a half hour or so – well, it took us over an hour and I was pretty tired but we made it. Actually I think I did pretty well and Gene, even though he’s just had surgery 11 days ago, he did great.
| Hoping to catch of glimpse of a Himalayan peak at Nagarkot |
The sun broke through a little and we were able to see a Himalayan peak. The countryside was very pretty. There were some ‘pine trees’ – different from our pine trees at home, but nice. We felt like we were on top of the world, but here, there’s always another peak higher. We headed back home and we were tired when we got back. We had breakfast, porridge, thin omelet, toast and some hash brown potatoes. It was better than supper last night.
Deppong’s presented their workshop ‘The temple – I’m going there someday”. They did great. It was a little skit about a girl who dreams that she married outside the temple and the consequences of it. It gave the kids something to think about.
| Kathmandu Branch Youth/YSA Conference at Nagrakot |
By this time we are behind schedule, as we got back from the hike so late. We gathered the kids together and went to do our ‘service project.’ Rangit had talked to a school about helping out there. We were excited to do – although I was tired from the morning hike. Debbie came back from that in a little trouble. She is asthmatic and was having trouble getting her breath. She thought she should miss it and I agreed and encouraged her to stay and take a nap. And good thing she didn’t try to go.
We went and experienced – the real Nepal. We were on a little trail through the countryside, down steep parts, and up steep parts. And across a little stream. I thought we would never get there – and then I was a little worried about walking all the way back. I hate to admit it, I complained a bit and kept thinking that whatever goes down, has got to come back up. I thought where is he taking us? We finally caught up to him and told him let’s turn around and just pick up litter on the way back. He said the school is right here – and pointed up. There it was, above us on the mountain. We climbed quite a few steps and finally got to the school.
| this was through a stream on the trail to the school |
| The countryside was beautiful |
| The boys doing some cleaning??? |
| Rajendra, Raj and Devi - making a difference |
| Sajana - how do you like the brooms they use in Nepal? |
The school was really bare bones. Again, we realize how much we take for granted at home. It was good to be involved with the youth as wecleaned there – the little caretaker was so happy that we would do that. The place looked much better. When we finished, we were fairly close to the main road and headed back that way. And it was all uphill. Uphill takes on a whole new meaning here in Nepal. By this time, I was really tired out, but what do you do, but keep going. I kept think of the Pioneer children as they walked, and walked and walked. I guess we could compare this to life. Sometimes things are rough and we feel we’ve done all we can, we are worn down, but what do we do? We have to keep going. And then the blessings come. And that’s what happened.
Gene and I were ahead of the main group a little ways – and I’m just putting one foot in front of the other-wondering how I am ever going to make it clear back to the hotel. It’s probably at least 3 more miles. It wasn’t long and here comes a small pick-up with our kids in the back. They stop and tell us to hop in. I know that’s against mission rules, but the ox was in the mire. We somehow cram in. It was like a can of sardines, but everyone is happy and just having a good time. When we got back to Nagarkot, Gene offered to pay for the ride for all of us, but they just said it was okay. What an answer to prayer. They were truly good samaritians. I wasn’t the only one wondering how we were going to make it back. Sajana had about five blisters on her feet. Many of the kids just wore flip flops and it wasn’t a good flip flop trail. Anyway, we were so grateful to be back to the hotel.
By the time we got back, lunch was waiting. Again, rice and dahl. We didn’t eat much. By then it was also time to have the kids get their stuff packed up and taken to the conference hall before we had our testimony meeting. Devi conducted that and did a wonderful job. A lot of the kids shared their testimonies and there was a good feeling there.
We boarded the bus and headed home arriving about 5:00 pm. Traffic wasn’t too bad and it was nice to get home before dark. We are both really tired but feel great about the conference. I complained a bit about the hike, but I wouldn’t trade the experiences of today for anything. I hope the kids feel the same way. My testimony and commitment was strengthened and I hope theirs was as well.
28 September 2011 Few Showers, pretty nice day
We got up fairly early to get things ready to leave for Youth/YSA Conference. We were at the church about 8:00 am and there were already quite a few there. We could tell they were anxious to go. The bus was supposed to be at the church at 8:30. We waited and waited. To make a long story short, the bus didn’t come till 10:30. We weren’t too happy about that, but not much we could do about it. We had already given them a pretty good deposit.
Anyway we made it to Nagarkot and the hotel Space Mountain. It was quite nice. It is high up on a high mountain. We met together in the conference room for a welcome to Youth Conference and the presentation of the theme. Raj Tamang gave that and he did a wonderful job. I was so impressed. What a wonderful young man, returned from his mission a few months ago.
Ranjit made the room assignments and then we had our sack lunches in the conference room. We gave them time to take their stuff to their room and then they came back for some team building activities. Kate Hargadon took charge of that and it was a lot of fun. I had taken some embroidery floss and we also made some friendship bracelets. They loved that as well. I could have used twice as much floss. I was surprised – most of the boys incorporated pink in their colors.
| Now, Kate, where is that ring on the string? |
| Sajana, Maria, Kamala, Devi and Rukmina making bracelets - |
Gene and I presented our workshop in the afternoon. It was ‘Heaven-Don’t Let The World Get in The Way. Look Beyond This Moment.’ We felt good about the workshop as we talked about Lehi’s dream, and holding on to the Iron Rod. The spirit was there and we felt things went well.
By the time we were done, we gave them a short break and then Brother Christopher Patch (Works as Assistant Consulate at the American Embassy) was there to present the fireside. It was wonderful. He told us he had been very involved with the families of those Americans killed the first of the week in the airplane crash and that in the last four days had only had about 10 hours sleep. His message was that there are a lot of steps to heaven and which step are we on and are we progressing on our way to heaven. He talked about his grandmother and her example. It was good, the kids were attentive and the spirit was there. We really appreciated him coming. He’s is such a busy guy and a wonderful person. We are so thankful to have him and his family in our little branch.
Then we had dinner. The Nepali kids loved it. It was rice and dahl, some curried vegetables and some ‘mutton’ which I think if actually goat. I didn’t eat too much.
After dinner we had a dance. These kids love to dance and dance they did. I’ve never seen them enjoy themselves so much. This is the first year they have had a dance at Youth Conference and they loved
27 September 2011 Nice morning, rain this PM
It’s been a busy day. We walked over to the ATM early and then came home and had a bite of breakfast. About 9:00, Laxmi went with us and we walked down to the Chowk. We bought some rope for the tug of war (for the workshop), got the agenda printed out so we can hand them out, picked up some embroidery floss (for friendship bracelets) and then went to Bhat Bhateni’s to get some candy and peanut butter and jam to make peanut butter sandwiches.
We have waited to hear from Rakesh. He has been at the Home ministry today, trying to help us get our visas. He said he would do what he could and hopefully, we could get as far as immigration today. We needed to be ready, if he should call, to come right on down.
Gene did call Dr. Giri this morning as he wanted to take the staples out today. He said to come at 3:00 pm. We hadn’t heard from Rakesh and Gene said we better take all the stuff for immigration, in case we should need to go down there. Wouldn’t you know it. When we got to the hospital, Laxmi checked in at the desk and they said the doctor was on his way. About then the cell phone rings and its Deppongs, saying Rakesh had just called and we need to head to Immigration ASAP. We left the hospital, got a taxi and headed there.
Gene did call Dr. Giri and told him ‘sorry’ but we have got to get our visas taken care of. He was okay with that and said to come in on Friday.
Rakesh was anxiously waiting for us at Immigration. He had been there and he just ushered us up the stairs and into the office. They looked at Gene and my passport and wanted an additional picture of us. They then said we could come back on Friday (because we will be gone to Youth Conference the next two days) and we can pay our money and finish it up. I guess I should say “Whew!”, but that might be just a little premature yet.
We came home. I heard the phone ring and when I came downstairs, I asked Gene about the call and he said it was Rakesh. He’s in the neighborhood and wanted to stop in. He spent much of the day trying to get things lined up so we could get our visas. . When he went to Women and Children’s there wasn’t anyone there authorized to sign the letter. He talked someone into signing it and wasn’t going to leave that office till it had a letter. One man agreed to sign it when Rakesh told him, they really didn’t care whose signature it was, just so it had one. I don’t know how Rakesh did it, but he got a signed letter. I can’t say or truly express how much we appreciate his help. It probably wouldn’t have happened had he not done that.
We have been trying to get some things packed and ready to leave for Youth Conference in the morning. It will be fun, but with so much going on, I will be glad when it’s over.
26 September 2011 RAIN, RAIN, ALL NIGHT & DAY
It started raining yesterday afternoon about 4:30 pm and it’s still raining this afternoon. This is what we had thought monsoon would be like. I’m sure it’s not been like this the whole time. I’m really ready for some sunshine. And today has been quite a bit cooler. I’m sitting here with a turtleneck and a fleece jacket. I don’t think I’m going to enjoy the winter months too much.
What a day. Gene called the doctor about getting his stitches out and he said let’s do it tomorrow because of the rain. I think many people have felt the same way, as it’s just been a quiet day, not many people even walking the street by our place. We were going to go to the Chowk and get some stuff for Youth Conference, but we haven’t done that either.
The saga over the visas continues. Rakesh did get the letter from the Ministry of Children’s and took it to the Home Ministry. He called and they wanted a copy of the report we sent to the Evaluation Team. He came to our home, picked it up and took it back. Then he thought he could take it over to Home Ministry. Gene told him it needed to go back to Women’s and Children’s for yet another letter. He just rolled his eyes. So it will be Thursday and we will be at Youth Conference. We really haven’t been too worried but today that’s changing a bit.
Deppong’s called immigration and they said if they didn’t have their visas complete they had to leave the country. End of Story. They called the US Embassy and they said there wasn’t anything they could do. So here we sit. Gene told Debbie if it would help we could cover Youth Conference or at least flip the workshops so they could come back with Brother Patch. She said they would just sit and stew if they were home, so I think they will go to Youth Conference. Speaking of Youth Conference, Maria, the member who was here from London on Saturday at Church wants to go. So we will let her come as a leader.
This thing about the airplane crash – there was a crash, but the story on the news at home was a crash from a year ago. This crash was awful and there were a couple of Americans on board, but they were not women from Provo. It took me a while to figure that all out.
I made some cream of potato soup for supper and it tasted good. I was a little low on ingredients but had a can of evaporated milk and it was great. Gene liked it and I’ll make it again. Potatoes and onions are one thing we can always get.
25 September 2011 Mostly Cloudy, few showers
I am looking forward to the end of monsoon. I need some sunshine. I wouldn’t do well living in Portland or Seattle.
Kamala called and wanted to come over. She wanted us to help her with an application for a job listing at the US Embassy. She was here quite a while. We were able to pull up the application online and fill out most of it. She will take it to the Embassy. Hopefully, she will have the opportunity to interview. Gene told her is she did, to call us, we could help her get ready. I would love to see her get an opportunity like that. It would be great!
We met with the YSA continuing to plan Youth Conference. I think things are going pretty well. Our original numbers are down but still we have a good group – about 35 people going. We still need to fine tune our workshop – it just doesn’t seem like there’s enough hours in the day.
We got a call from Devi saying that Maria (she is the member who was at church – visiting from London) would like to go to the conference. She is over the age for YSA, but we felt she could go in a leader role. I called her and talked with her and she would love to help out.
We saw on the news today KSL.com, that there was an airplane crash in Nepal killing all 19 aboard. This was a group of tourists, doing the mountain flight on Buddha Airlines. That is the very thing we were going to do when the kids come. Two of the victims in the crash were a couple of women from Provo UT. That brings things a little close to home. That makes us sad and makes me think twice about going. Do I really want to do that? I think of our four children, being the parents to ten of our grand children. It’s a bit sobering.
No comments:
Post a Comment