Thursday, April 26, 2012


26 April 2012 

First of all I want to say a big "Thank You" to my niece Melanie. I don't know what I did, but I sure messed up my blog. I think it was something to do with their new template. I was frantic thinking all was lost. I looked up Melanie's number and called her through Gmail 'call phones.' She was very helpful. I did get a chuckle when she said the call came across her caller ID as 'out of area' And then when she answered, and I asked how she was, she said I sounded like grandma. Well, grandma passed away in 1999 and she is 'out of area.' We both had a good laugh. Anyway, thanks Melanie for going in and cleaning that up for me. I'm back in business.

We talked to Chad and Konnie, Brent and Jason this morning. I was a bit surprised because it’s the middle of the week, but they were calling to wish their dad a Happy Birthday. (His birthday is tomorrow).

We taught English today and it was good. Both classes had a good attendance and we had fun in each one. Before the second class started, the women were gathered. One of the ladies was sitting by Laxmi and said how beautiful I looked. Laxmi told me. Wow! Where did that come from?  I was flattered and expressed thanks. And then Sushma told me that in Nepal many women when they get in their 50’s and 60’s, their just old, they give up, don’t do much anymore and she said ‘you are full of energy  and do things and you are such an inspiration to us.’ Wow again! I again expressed thanks and told them they had made my day. Both class periods were a relaxed atmosphere, and a good time.
We see these 'workhorses' all over. Like an oversized tiller.
 In the second class, one of the ladies wanted to tell her story. She is one of the new ladies. She spoke in Nepali and Laxmi translated. (I know it's an English class). She was married at 13 and had her first child at 15. She always had a yearning to learn new things. At first her new father in law granted her the freedom to learn, but it wasn’t long and he said no more. If she continued, she would have to return to her parent’s home. That kind of put an end to her education. She now has a son in California studying Engineering and a daughter in the UK who is a nurse. Her children are excited to think she is learning English. Her son told her it would be so much easier for her when she comes to his graduation, if she knows a bit of English. I hope we can help her. She is a delight.

Today, among other things,  we talked a little bit about can and can’t. I suggested they take the word can’t and put it in a garbage can. When we think we can’t, we can’t. But if we think we can – we can. I shared the story of Thomas the Train and how he kept saying to himself “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can” and he did pull the train up the mountain. I told them if they tell themselves ‘I think I can learn English’ they will be able to. It was a good day for us.

We came home and Gene and I walked over to Bhad Bhateni’s to get a few things to share on our trip to Krishnapur tomorrow. We decided not to take sandwiches anymore, just snack kinds of things. It makes it so much easier.

25 April 2012

We received the Mission Newsletter today and I want to include some words from President Jackson about General Conference:

Conference speakers will answer the questions of your soul. With a foundation built on faith we can overcome all trials and disappointments. Our experiences (sometimes hard ones!) help us to become better. We can actually communicate beyond the veil. The healing power of forgiveness, and the mercy that it affords us, is to be sought after. If we are involved in an activity that hurts, demeans or has no positive purpose, then we should “stop it!” It is wise not to judge others. Envy and jealousy are wasted emotions, because God loves all of His children and de-sires that we each inherit ALL that He has. Contention is not of the Lord. Ever. Power in the priesthood comes through our personal worthiness. We must learn to magnify our callings and live up to the majesty of God’s power to bless His children. As priesthood holders we are different! “You can’t do wrong when you are doing right. You can’t do right when you are doing wrong.” Act (be proactive!), do not be acted upon.

Did I mention not judging others? Remember that when we are feeling low, the Lord can come to us! There is no sacrifice too great to keep us from the temple. We can receive personal revelation (indeed, we must). Choose eternal principles and values. Be righteous and fulfill your duty. There is a difference between simply living in the Church and living the Gospel. God will help us overcome our challenges. We must nurture and safeguard the rising generation and all individual members of the Church, because they can represent nations! The missionary life serves as a template for the rest of our lives (ministering, priorities, reliance on the Spirit, etc.). What does Christ think of me?

The messages of Conference serve to direct us to where we need to change (repent!), to how we can improve and “be better” than we were before Conference. That is a primary purpose of Conference! What good does a sermon do if it is heard only? How valuable are “hearers” of the word when compared to “doers?” I was impressed by what some of you were inspired to do, and that you had plans by which to do them!:

Search out the less actives. Represent the Savior better by focusing on the daily schedule and exact obedience. Pray more often, more meaningfully and more specifically (names!). Learn more of Christ through personal study. Work more diligently with the names on the 2012 goal list to help more people enjoy the saving ordinances of the priesthood. Ask, “What would Jesus do?” Be more precise in leaving strong commitments with those we teach…and the follow-up! Be a better home teacher by understanding the “why.” Focus less on the faults of others and more on our own. Don’t judge! Write handwritten notes and letters to my family to give a more “personal touch.” Do more with my loved ones! Increase the number of ITLs done. Involve members even more. Use the dictionary while studying the scriptures so we understand better. Improve my planning skills. Be more kind when communicating with others. Look for the good in others and compliment them. Act on the promptings of the Spirit by writing them down on a piece of paper.

If I could only remember all this – then when someone asks what our Prophets have said lately, I would be able to tell them.

We got a call from one of the guys who work at the trust. He was calling about picking us up for Karishma’s wedding.  We met him at the Chapelkarkanu Chowk. They were in a taxi ahead of us. We drove quite a ways and headed up a little side street. It wasn’t long and we found out they weren’t sure where the wedding party was. We backtracked a couple of times and soon were at the right place.
Beautiful Bride - Karishma. We work with her on water projects.
The Nepali's never smile for photographs.


She was in a beautiful saree...lots of jewelry.
Red is the wedding color. I fit right in.
 We were warmly welcomed by Karishma’s sisters. We found out that she has four sisters and one brother and they were very gracious. They seated us right down at a 90 degree angle to them. The Priest had been giving them a blessing when we arrived. Soon the bride and groom were taken upstairs in her mother’s home and they asked us to come too. They took quite a few pictures of the bride and groom, the bride’s family and some with us and the bride and groom. I’m not sure why, but they almost treated us like celebrities.
With Karishma and her sisters.
The bride and groom
With the Bride's mother. I'm short - look how short she is. ..
Then they brought food for the bride and groom and we went back downstairs. Gene and I were sitting by Karishma’s brother’s father in law. He was a department head at Tribhaven University and was an interesting fellow to talk to. He is now retired. His English was pretty good, but no matter how hard I try, it’s difficult to catch everything they say.  
Elder Esplin makes a new friend.
A buffet luncheon was served. We declined for quite a while. Then Hari came and by then I’m feeling like we should really eat something. Hari said yes we should. Gene didn’t want anything but we did go and put a little rice and dahl on our plate along with some fresh radish, cucumber and carrot. We figured that should be pretty safe.

The wedding car - all decorated with flowers.
We hung out a little longer and then decided we could slip out. We did and outside they were decorating the wedding car. We got a few pictures and then found out there were no taxi’s in that area, so had to walk a ways to the main street to find a taxi. It was a fun experience. Way different than American weddings.
 
24 April 2012

Sister Patch asked if would like to read a book she just brought back from the USA. It’s called “Doing What We Came To Do” by Ardeth Kapp. It’s a wonderful book and I’ve been so impressed by many things and wish I had written them down as I’ve read. Now I’m about finished with the book, I do want to add a couple of thoughts from it.

“When we begin to understand, even in part, the magnitude of the promises of eternal life, than all the doings – the assignments, the calls, the programs, the activities, the dos and the don’ts, the peanut butter and jam smeared on the kitchen table, and yes, even the never-ending laundry – take on a whole new meaning. A burden ceases to be a burden once we see the purpose for it.”

She talks a lot about prayer: “In answer to our prayers, our Father in Heaven will open doors for us, soften hearts, and heal wounds, spiritual and physical. Put simply, He will just make things better all around, because He wants us to be good and He wants us to be happy. And on occasion, He will direct us to be there in answer to someone else’s prayer.

“Hailstones and crop failure will occur in our lives and in our families. Things don’t always turn out the way we plan, but don’t ever let what you haven’t done eclipse all the good you have done and are doing. A hailstorm may destroy the crops, but with faith in God, I solemnly testify it need not prevent a rich harvest. (I needed to read this as sometimes, I really feel that we haven’t done all that we should have done while here in Nepal)

“Finally, in the words of Nephi, “Ye must press forward in Christ” (2 Nephi 31:20) our testimonies, our commitments, and our covenants may lie deep inside, but until we take a stand and rid our lives of all of the distractions that obscure this treasure, we are not free to press forward in Christ. As long as we remain undecided, uncommitted, and uncovenanted, we remain unanchored, and every wind that blows becomes life threatening. Uncertainty will bred vacillation and confusion. Taking a stand and making a choice secures for us the gift of the Holy Ghost. . That gift releases us from crippling doubt, indecision, and confusion. Once we take a stand, we then have access to power and blessings so much so that we will hardly be able to keep pace with our opportunities.”

I loved the book and I am so thankful for the Gospel plan and the knowledge it gives us of who we are, why we are here and where we are going. It does make life so much easier.

This morning we went down to SWC taking Laxmi with us. We did get the letter submitted requesting our PAC meeting to be held on May 16. Then we went up to the Member Secretary’s office and were told that we have to meet with him to determine a date. And of course, he was in a meeting for at least a couple of hours. They told us they would call us and we came home.

This afternoon we went with Deppong’s to have a Birthday Dinner for Gene and Ollie. ( Again, their birthday’s are both on Friday, the 27th ) When Deppong’s picked us up, they had a warm apple pie. They had baked it because they knew Gene liked Apple Pie. That was a sweet thing to do. I asked if we should have dessert first and they said ‘yes’. It was good. Then we went to Thamel to New Orleans where we all had Lemon Chicken. It was pretty good, but really, I like to eat here as well as anything. It’s just nice once in a while not to have to do the cooking. Then we had a good visit and reminisced a little about some of the things we’ve done while here. We’ve truly enjoyed our mission though there have been some challenges.

23 April 2012 Monday

We talked to Clay this morning. They were all sitting outside and they said the weather was almost hot. It’s a little early for that. Jack was excited to tell me that he had got to go to the Jazz game with his mom and Grandpa and Grandma Hislop. He was cheering for the Magic but was okay with the Jazz winning in Overtime. How fun. He getting to like basketball a lot.

We also talked to Alison for a minute. Paul was outside helping Scott learn to ride his bike. Then we talked to Scott and he is excited and said he did learn to ride his bike. Now he can go with his dad to get a slush puppy. And he and Hannah are already planning a bike ride after school. That is good news.

Elder Brown also called us this morning and thanked Gene for the Priesthood Blessing he received while they were here. He said because of that, he is doing much better. We are so glad to hear that. He did look pretty thin and I asked him if he had lost weight. He said he had – like eighteen pounds. But he said he’s turned the corner and doing well. They are ‘grounded’ for a few months and won’t be doing any more Humanitarian stuff till probably September. That is good. He needs time to get back to normal. It’s been a rough go for him.

We went to English today. It went pretty well. We are trying to get some of these new women a little more involved. I think they are feeling okay about things for the most part. We only have about six weeks left and then we want to have some kind of closing program where we hand out certificates of participation. Should be fun.

After English we went to the Trust and picked up the school kits to take with us over to the Krisnapur area. We want to distribute them to the little school there for orphans and squatters children. They sure could use the help. We look forward to it.

22 April 2012

It’s been a great day. We talked to Brent a while this morning and always enjoy that. Then we had a missionary meeting with Elder and Sister Deppong. We had thought things were slowing up, but it sounds like we will be busy with a few more trips. We have a water project this weekend and then a wheelchair distribution coming right up. Anyway, we like to be busy and hope we will be right up till the time to go home.

I told Deppong's that I had a wedding card for Karishma (Koirala Trust) and if they were free perhaps we should take it over to her. We put some money in the card and signed it. We caught a taxi and went to the Trust. She wasn’t there, but the girl called her and told us to sit and she would come. We did wait for a few minutes and here she came. She was so excited and happy that we would come. She told us that the wedding is actually on the 25th of April and she would very much like us to come. I’m not sure she if she was just being polite, but she seemed sincere and she said she would be so happy if we could come. We told her we would be very happy to come and appreciated the invitation. It will be our first Nepali wedding. We look forward to it. With the timing of all this, I do feel that it’s a Tender Mercy from Heavenly Father.

After that we went with Deppong’s to The Bakery Café and had a little lunch. Then we came home and worked on the English lesson. We have decided we want to see if we can finish the course and do a closing ceremony before Rempp’s come. They will be busy enough getting adjusted and then will have HBB and will soon need to get into doing the General Agreement. We don’t want to tie them down to an English Class.
Manoj, a young man Brent met while here. He's our friend too.
 Tonight we had Manoj over for dinner and wouldn’t you know our power went off at 4:00 PM. He is the young man Brent met when he was here. We enjoyed having him. Laxmi had helped me fix dinner. We had rice and beans, chicken, samosas and I made the broccoli, cauliflower salad. Laxmi and Jessica joined us for dinner and Nick was here working so we invited him in as well. Manoj seemed to enjoy himself and filled his plate a couple of times. We were happy about that. Then Manoj and Brent talked on Skype for a few minutes. Manoj’s boss called him and he didn’t get to stay too long, but we enjoyed the evening. It was good. It’s been a good day.

No comments: