29 April 2012
It's been a catch up day for us. And it's been nice not to have a lot on the agenda. Rakesh did drop by with some good news. He said the PAC Meeting has been scheduled for May 21. We are delighted to hear that. The sooner the better. He told us to go down to SWC and just confirm with them. We will do that.
28 April 2012
I woke up not feeling very good. I told Gene I didn’t
want any breakfast, that I was feeling a bit nauseated. The plan for today was
to go to church with Usha, the member who has just begun work here at the
hospital. She has received permission to hold Sacrament Meetings and we wanted
to attend with her. The only Priesthood holder in this area wasn’t going to be
there today, so I’m glad we had Priesthood so they didn’t have to cancel their
meeting.
I’m so glad we could go. To start with there was only
Pres. Bishnu, Deppongs, Us and Usha. After the sacrament, six other young women
came. They were women who Usha had invited and they worked at the hospital and
were in the nursing program. President Bishnu talked first and then asked us as
Senior Missionaries to share our testimonies. I’m so thankful to Heavenly
Father for blessing me with his Spirit. I felt His guidance as I spoke – mainly
about knowing we are children of a Heavenly Father who knows us individually,
He loves us and wants us to be happy. It truly was a wonderful meeting and I’m
so glad we could be part of it.
It wasn’t long and we were back in the van and headed to
Lamjung. I’m still not feeling great, but didn’t want the plan’s to change because of me. It’s
quite a drive up there and it’s a part of Nepal we have never been in, so I
wanted to go. I did enjoy the ride. When we got there Pres. Bishnu said it was
a 20 minute walk of so to the project. And it was hot. I told them I would just
wait in the van. So they went without me – as they should. I sat in the van for
a bit, but it soon became too hot. Across the street was a little storefront
that was closed and it was shady so I went there. A young man came over and
talked to me. His English was pretty good.
Soon a couple of little girls, probably about 12 and 8
came over. They brought me a little stool to sit on. They could speak a little
English too and we just chatted. Their mother had a little jewelry shop there.
When Sister Deppong got back, we looked at the jewelry, but it was quite
expensive so we didn’t buy.
About 2:00 we were back in the van and headed for home.
I’m still feeling yucky. I tried to sleep but wasn’t very successful. It seemed
like quite a long ride home and I was really happy to get here. We arrived
about 7:30 pm and I went straight to bed. I did take some medicine and hope tomorrow
will be better.
27 April 2012
Today is Gene’s birthday and he did celebrate in style.
I woke up not feeling great. I wondered what I had eaten
that didn’t agree with me. I debated with myself whether or not I should go,
but we have looked forward to this trip – and I wasn’t that bad so I took a couple of anti diarrhea pills and off
we went. We left about 6:30. Bishnu came with the van and driver. We picked up
Deppong’s and drove over the mountain. That trip just doesn’t get any shorter.
We arrived about 11:15 and checked in to the hotel, then went over to the
project closing. They had flowers in pots along the street where the meeting
was held.
We got out of the van and began walking to the place
where they had a canopy set up. They had us wait a minute while some people
came playing music and dancing. The music was an instrument I had never seen
before. It was some kind of a horn, almost semi-circular and long and skinny. I
can’t say it emitted a beautiful sound – but it was fun to be escorted to the
meeting place with music and dancing. We kept telling Gene, it was especially
because it was his and Elder Deppong’s birthdays.
It was really hot as we sat under a canopy for close to 3
hours. I think I lost a lot of moisture through ‘sweat’. It was really
uncomfortable. The program was, of course, all in Nepali.
They presented Gene and Ollie with Nepali men’s hats. They gave Debbie and I pretty silk scarves. They did express gratitude for the help of LDS Charities. At the end of the program they presented Gene with a plaque, also expressing appreciation. They also presented him a black rhino in a glass case with words (in Nepali) that said it was presented with love and gratitude for our participation in this project. That was very nice and it is something we will take home.
There was a bit of excitement during the meeting when a man
about three rows back in the congregation
became angry, stood up and began shouting at the guy who was speaking. It reminded
me of people in the USA when they don’t like what a politician is saying. People
did try to restrain this guy but before the police came, he was able to pick up a plastic
chair and hurl it at the guy who was speaking. One of the men sitting behind us
learned forward and told us he was drunk. He probably had been drinking, but I think
he really disagreed with the guy.
They presented Gene and Ollie with Nepali men’s hats. They gave Debbie and I pretty silk scarves. They did express gratitude for the help of LDS Charities. At the end of the program they presented Gene with a plaque, also expressing appreciation. They also presented him a black rhino in a glass case with words (in Nepali) that said it was presented with love and gratitude for our participation in this project. That was very nice and it is something we will take home.
After we were done there, we went out to the little
school for orphans and squatters children and presented them with some school
kits that had been donated by Deseret International (Pres. Jackson’s father).
This little school can really use the help. It’s a small little school with
only about45 students of varying ages.
Tonight we went to the best place in Chitwan for birthday
dinner. If this was the best place, I wonder what the others are like. Gene and
I both had chicken sizzler. It just wasn’t that good. We do look forward to
some real good American food. After
dinner we went back to the hotel. I’m not sure if it was the heat, or my not
feeling the best, but Sister Deppong and I both felt wiped out.


1 comment:
We don't comment ofte but do read your bog and love seeing what you are doing. What a grand adventure you are having. you guys are super!
Love Reese's
Post a Comment