Friday night Bishop Pitcher said he had pushed the finish button and it was in President Poulsen's hands. Knowing we are leaving for Cannon Beachon on Wednesday, Gene went ahead and called the Stake Executive Secretary and asked him if there was any way we could meet with President Poulsen before that. He said he would find out and give us a call back.
It wasn't long and the phone rang and it was Brother Reese. He had talked with President Poulsen and set up an appointment with us for Sunday afternoon at 2:00PM. Actually I was quite nervous about the interview. I don't know why. President Poulsen is such a wonderful man and always makes us feel so comfortable. He is just so Christlike, so loving and nonjudgmental. He welcomed us both into his office and we chatted for an hour. I know he is so busy, but he sure doesn't give you that impression.
His first question to us was "Are you healthy?" We told him yes. Then he asked us what we were going to do with our home. We told him Alison lived next door and would keep track of things for us. He said we were fortunate that way. He asked if we might be interested in renting it to a newly married couple and said that works out well for many seniors serving missions. Gene told him we weren't opposed to that, but hadn't really thought about it. He said he just mentioned it as an option.
He asked us how we would feel about being together 24-7. We told him we have kinda been doing that the last few years. Working for Holiday Retirement and serving together at the Employment Center, we are used to being together a lot and we do enjoy it and look forward to serving together.
He told us he was impressed that we would want to serve wherever the Lord need us. He told us he knew that it takes a lot of faith to do that. He said senior couples have a lot of experience and they could put us anywhere and we would know what needed to be done - from organizing a new area to teaching English or whatever. He expressed appreciation for all that we have done in the stake. He made us feel pretty good.
He said he had our papers but hadn't actually looked them over, but if everything was in order he would send them off. I asked how long it typically takes for calls to come and he said it takes longer for senior couples to get their calls. They try to find the right match for both husband and wife. He said it usually takes anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. But then he said he sees the time shorter for them to enter the MTC and the mission field. he told us that when a mission president gets word that a senior couple is coming, they often want to know how soon they can come. So, it is more waiting.
I think we are both at the point that we just want to get on with this. I know we are being taught patience. I'm not sure that I am a good learner - I will try a little harder to do better. For now though, I guess we will just pack our bags and after serving at the Employment Center Monday and Tuesday, we will drive out to Cannon Beach and enjoy the Oregon Coast for a week. We are looking forward to that too. I know as fast as time flies, our call will be here soon. We pray we can use our time wisely in preparation.
No comments:
Post a Comment