Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Where does the time go? I can hardly believe that Christmas has come and gone.It's always such a wonderful time of year and we know that our Christmas next year will be a completely different experience. We did receive an email from Elder and Sister Borland in Nepal and they shared with us that the branch there had a wonderful Christmas Party. The branch numbers about 130. They had about 400 people in attendance. Lots of Hindu and Buddha friends coming to see a little of what Mormons believe. And I'm sure free food has something to do with it. A little like here at home.

We had a wonderful Christmas. Brent was here and we spent the day opening gifts with Paul, Alison and family and then went out to Chad and Konnie's for a wonderful Christmas Day dinner. Sunday we went to Syracuse to the mission report of my nephew Kendall, just home from the Republic of the Congo mission. He is such a special young man and was a truly a great missionary. We loved seeing and hearing from him.

Elder and Sister Willis, a senior couple serving with him and also President and Sister Livingstone, his first mission president were there. We had the opportunity to talk with them. They gave us some great advice for our mission.

Sister Willis told me to take a Kindle and download it with a bunch of books. You can get a lot of the Classic Books online, at no cost. She said there is usually a lot of down time in the evenings and we will need something to do. President Livingstone also told us to get an external hard drive and down load movies. I thought that was interesting. I'm sure that's not something they would tell the young elders, but I know things are way different for senior couples.

Brent installed the Kindle for PC on our computer and has downloaded a few books. We do love to read and I have to admit, many of the classics, I've never read. We have also ordered an external hard drive and our friend Craig, said he will oversee the downloading of some movies. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do that.

We returned from Syracuse just in time to put rolls in the oven and welcome our family home to celebrate Christmas. We had a houseful and I love every minute of it. Everyone was here but Jason and Tiffany and we missed them but will see them in January.

We had a great time eating lots of good food, and mostly just visiting. I know I will miss my family and that will be a challenge for me. In fact, Sister Willis did tell me that it does get lonely and I need to prepare myself for that. (How do you do that? If you have ideas, let me know.)

Elder and Sister Borland
We have also been hearing more both from the couple we are replacing and the couple we will be working with in Kathmandu. Elder Borland said he has driven through Cache Valley many times and always felt a peaceful feeling here. He told us that Nepal is waaaay different than home. I smiled as I read that and wondered just what that might mean.
Elder and Sister Deppong from St. Louis

The Deppongs told us that in the less than 2 months that they have been there they have been to two wheelchair distributions, have assembled hygiene kits with the Branch, and will then distribute them to school children in villages and teach hygiene on Thursday. WHEW!! It does sound they are busy and loving it. I'm sure we will too.

No comments: