Sunday, November 28, 2010
We woke up to snow again this morning. It looked like it had snow about three inches. Things are really looking like a marshmallow world. At this rate, winter is going to be a long one in Cache Valley. I think we will be glad to arrive in Kathmandu.
Brent left this morning about 10:30 to go back to Grand Island. Gene and I went to Sacrament Meeting and then came home and had a bite to eat. We were lucky enough to still have some Thanksgiving leftovers and they tasted good. I love leftovers – not having to cook. It works for me.
After cleaning up the dishes and finishing our packing, we left home and headed to the MTC. I had texted Brent and asked him how the roads were and he called back and said they were mostly just a little slushy. We found that to be the case. It was starting to stick as we went over Sardine Canyon but most of the way it wasn’t to bad. The radio said there had been lots of accidents and it you didn’t have to drive, to stay at home.
When we got to Salt Lake, we stopped in to see Loy for about 45 minutes. We hadn’t really talked with her and she wanted to know all about our call and Nepal. We had a nice visit.
We headed again, for Provo. The roads weren’t great and I’m thankful that Gene is a good driver. I also felt peaceful and knew that Heavenly Father was blessing us and that we would arrive safely. We stopped and had a sandwich and then arrived at the MTC.
They welcomed us and gave us the key to the room and showed us a map of the building we would be in. We are in the Jacob Hamblin building. They told us we could park in the church parking lot behind and go through a gate and our building would be close by. Sounded good to us.
We found the church parking lot. Now remember, it’s really cold outside and I don’t like being cold. Gene got out of the car and I told him I would wait to see if he could get the lock open. He looked and looked and couldn’t see any way we could open the gate. There was a number pad and we figured we needed a code to get in. We decided we would have to drive back around to the front desk and ask about that.
I don’t know why they didn’t do it at the start, but this time they did give Gene a code for the lock. Sounded good. We drove back around, parked the car and are ready to unload our stuff. Gene get’s out of the car, puts the code in the lock – and nothing. This time he did have a phone number to call and called the desk. They gave us another number. Okay, punch in the new code – nothing again. I’m starting to wonder what is going on. Okay, one more time, Gene calls the desk. They give us yet another number and said if that didn’t work, they would have to call their supervisor.
Hurray, it did work. Okay, we take a couple of things, go through the gate and now the challenge is to find the right building. I didn't know this place was so big. And it’s still cold outside. We finally found the building and now, guess what? We couldn’t get the card key to work in the lock. We again, called the front desk. They are probably thinking we are a nuisance. Finally, he said he would send a security guy around. It wasn’t long and he came. There was some ice buildup in the lock. H chipped away at it for a few minutes and finally got it to work. Hurray!
We got in our room and it’s pretty basic. The sheets we folded nicely on the bed. So we made the bed and unpacked our suitcases. We did a little reading before we going to bed. I hope tomorrow goes better.
No comments:
Post a Comment