Saturday, May 5, 2012


5 May 2012

It rained just a little in the night and it was cool this morning. We both had sweatshirts on.
Hard at work.
The school above is close by our home. I'm not sure if they are remodeling or turning it into business. It does seem like there is construction of one sort or another all over the place.

We went to church today. Elder Bogati’s mission call was in Pres. Bishnu’s office and he opened it during Sacrament Meeting. There were many ooh’s and aah’s when he read that he had been called to serve in the England London mission and will enter the MTC on July 19th. He’s the second young man from Nepal, who has been called to serve outside of India. (the first being Nick, who is going to Minneapolis, MN) Everyone is so happy for him. We are thrilled as well.
Elder Bogati - Off to the England London Mission
I was able to get the list of baptisms from Brother Tamang today. That also makes me happy. Now I can do a lot toward getting the Branch History caught up.

Laxmi gave the lesson in Relief Society and she did a great job. She was asking for something to be read and the paper was passed on a couple of times. Sister Dearden read it. Sometimes we don’t think of the challenge these Saints have in preparing and attending the lessons. They are all in English and for many of them they don’t speak much English. Happy will be the day when the materials are in their mother language.

It’s been a nice day. After dinner, we did up the dishes. (we don’t do that too much – but will have to get used to it before long) did some reading and even had a nap.

4 May 2012

Again, I think we had power most of the night.  We were scheduled to have power till 11:00 AM, but it went off at 9:00 AM. It was supposed to come on at 5:00 PM, but it was after 5:30. It sure makes it easier to get dinner ready. I guess I should be thankful for the longer daylight hours.

We’ve spent the day at home. Gene has gotten the letters of invitation ready for Rakesh to pick up. There about nine of them to that many different members of SWC and Ministries.

We have been a little concerned about Deppong’s getting back as the forecast for Lukla (where trekkers fly in to begin their trek to Everest.) has been for storms. We were grateful when they called this afternoon and said they were back. They did have a good time and said they have stories to tell. We will be anxious to hear them.

We have been trying to get together with Pratima at READ Nepal. We got an email from here and she wanted to come to our home tomorrow (the Sabbath) We told her that wouldn’t work for us and so we are going to try for Monday morning again, this time before class. Hope it works.


It's a lot of work to put on a saree. . .
You have to fold and tuck - a lot!
So beautiful. . .


There's a lot of detail - -
Laxmi got all cleaned up and ready to go to a wedding party. She looked beautiful and I wanted to share a couple of photos of her. The saree, red and green, it the traditional wedding colors here in Nepal. It is one very long piece of fabric and all the sequins are sewn on by hand. We have watched that being done. Interesting. It takes a long time to do one saree. 

I did hear back from the doctor in India today. I feel like he was telling me to quit whining: He suggested that I leave the ear alone - enough seems to have been done to it.  He said he would request me to ignore minor feeling’s of blockage and carry on with life as usual- and to reduce my pre occupation/ concern for the ear. Then he said I could always consult an ENT doctor in the states, when I return.

I wasn’t sure what to think – I did ask Konnie to make me appointment for me when I get back. I would just like to know what's going on. . .

3 May 2012

Boy, the power situation is almost ‘comical’. Not really! We had about an hour and a half of power all day yesterday. We heard the inverter beep while we were talking to Alison and I told her we could be disconnected anytime.  It came on just before we went to bed and seemed like it was on most of the might. Good thing! The battery really needs to be charged. If it is down, all our work stops.

We taught English today and what fun. We talked about body parts and even taught them the Hokey Pokey. I was a little apprehensive and didn’t know how they would react, but they loved it and had a good time. They want to do it again. I had also printed out a story. We went through it several time and then I gave it to them in groups of two or three. We had cut it up and had them put it together. It was a little harder for them than I thought it would be. But I think they enjoyed the challenge.

We were supposed to meet with Pratima today. She wasn’t there again and I get a little frustrated. Gene tells me to be patient – I know – time doesn’t mean much to Nepali’s, but this is the second time we’ve been stood up. We do need to talk about the closing program and they also want to talk about our commitment to donate to their new library coming up soon.

We came home and had a grilled cheese sandwich (thanks again, Konnie) and then worked in the office. I am again in the mood to work on the Branch History and have made pretty good progress today.

Gene went to PEC meeting tonight. Neither of us thought much about it, but while he’s gone, we are getting some good rain. I hope it doesn’t last long or he will be a ‘drowned rat.’ When he got home, he said that Deppong’s were still in Lukla. There is a storm up there and they couldn’t get a flight out. We hope they were prepared for all that.

No comments: