Monday, May 14, 2012


14 May 2012

We were happy to talk to all the kids yesterday or early this morning, all of them wanting to wish us a Happy Mother’s Day. We feel so fortunate to have such a wonderful family. They have supported us in so many ways while we’ve been gone and we look forward to being together again. It will be good to reconnect with the little ones. I don’t think it will take long, as Skype has helped us stay a bit involved in their lives.

We were delighted to hear the bandh for the next three days had been cancelled. That made it possible for us to teach English today. We had 22 women in  attendance today. We do have a good time and it’s been a lot of fun to teach them. When you spend time a couple of days a week with them, you get connected – and we’ve done that. I know when the time comes to say good bye to them, I will be a little teary.

The weather has really warmed up. I imagine it will stay warm until the monsoon season starts. That will probably be in about another month. We have had a little rain of late and I’m not sure if that’s the reason, but we have had  a bit more power as well, and oh, has that been nice.

13 May 2012

Since traffic is running early this morning, we hurried and went to Bhat Bhateni’s. With all the talk of bandh’s and strikes, we felt like we should get a few things, just in case. The deadline for signing the Constitution is the end of May. It doesn’t look like that’s going to happen and so the next few weeks are expected  to be a full of bandh and strikes  – should be interesting.

Since there wasn't a strike today we were able to celebrate Mother's Day in America. Sister Deppong thought we should all have flowers. She asked the flower guy for corsages. He didn't know what she was talking about. She explained that we wear them on our wrist or they are pinned on our shirt. He did a great job and they were so pretty. Many people looked at us, wondering what that was about. A few even asked us about them.


Laxmi, Rukmina, Sister Esplin and Sister Deppong
It looked like a great place to pull the trailer and 'camp'.

Shyam, the taxi driver we used to go to KTC,  came and picked us up and then we went to get Debbie and Rukmina. We spent most of the afternoon at the Nepal Botanical Gardens. It was a delightful spot. There weren’t a lot of flowers in bloom right now, but it was a nice place. There were lots of trees, green grass and a little stream running though. There weren’t a lot of people and it was refreshing and relaxing.

When we finished there, we went to a restaurant in King’s Way. Again, it wasn’t great, but okay. I had a roast chicken with potatoes. After a while, everything here just tastes the same. After we ate, we went to Folk Nepal and did a little shopping. It was 6:30 by the time we got home. I’m tired and ready to call it a day. We don’t know what tomorrow will bring. Some people are saying there will be a strike – others saying tomorrow will be okay. I guess we just wait and see.

12 May 2012 Saturday

We hadn’t been up too long and the phone rang. It was Pres. Bishnu saying that there wouldn’t be any church because of the Bandh. Laxmi had been out and about and said the bandh was called off. She talked to Bishnu and he said he didn’t know if he could get here or not.

We did have another phone call from some people visiting Nepal and working in an orphanage who were also wondering how to get to church. Gene said he would meet them. That left me to walk to church by myself – Laxmi wasn’t ready. When I got to the chowk, it was a little scary. There was a big group of people on the road and many others watching to see what was going on. There were also police with their riot gear. I was a little nervous, but thought ‘just keep walking, looking straight ahead.’ I did and made it to the church just fine.

Gene was a little late but he made it with a young couple from Switzerland. They will be here for five months helping in an orphanage. The crowd today was kind of small. I’m sure a lot of people just couldn’t get here – and then worry about getting back home. We did just have Sacrament Meeting and there were only two of the four scheduled speakers. But the two young men who did speak did a fantastic job. One was just baptized a few weeks ago. He talked on the principle of fasting. I was impressed. The other young man was Elder Bogati, (he has his mission call to England) and he did a great job talking about paying tithing and fasting. He will be a great Elder.

Patch’s invited us to dinner tonight. Gretel said they wanted to have us over before we left. Deppongs and the couple from Switzerland were also there. We had a delightful evening – good people and good food and good conversation. Gretel and the kids will be leaving, heading to the USA in just two weeks. They will return Mid August, just in time for their kids to get back in school.

It’s been an interesting day and it sounds like there’s going to be many more to come (as far as bandh’s go.

11 May 2012

I had a good night’s sleep and enjoyed every minute of it. When I got up, Gene was talking to Clay on Skype. He had taken Jack to Basketball and was waiting for him. Skyping with some of the kids is a good way to start the day.

Yes, there is another bandh today and things have been very quiet. Debbie called and she said they can hear people and the unrest from their place. We are far enough off the street that we don’t hear it. We have been up on the roof and there just isn’t anything going on. There are a few motorcycles and people walking, but other than that, there’s nothing happening.

So it’s been quiet here. I have had a good day. I’ve spent the day putting together a movie using Windows Movie Maker. I pretty much had the photos I wanted to use in a separate folder so that part was easy. The part that took a long time ( I know there’s got to be an easier way) was inserting transitions between pictures and then finding and adding music. It’s not finished, but it’s getting there. As we’ve watched it, it’s dawning on me that we really are going home soon. I’m sure there is a lot that I will miss and I’m sure I will be a little teary. I know there will be many mixed emotions.

The word on the street tonight is bandh again tomorrow and Sunday. It will be interesting. I guess we just wait and see.

No comments: