Wednesday, May 23, 2012



23 May 2012

Buses and Trucks honking this morning was music to our ears. That meant that traffic was running. Just knowing that we are free to go out if we want to makes a huge difference in our attitudes.

We walked over to the bank, stopping at Saleway’s (a grocery store) on the way home. There were a lot of people on the street and I think everyone was just happy to be able to get out and do their thing.

Laxmi’s birthday is coming up next week. We had told her we would take her and Jessica out to dinner – anywhere they wanted to go. At first she had said they would like to go to Pizza Hut. That sounded great to us! Yesterday I mentioned that it was coming and did she still want to go to Pizza Hut? She said she was thinking, maybe she would like to have a party – maybe a birthday party and a farewell party all in one – with American food. So…..I guess we will have a party. Should be fun.

Laxmi went with me down to Folk Nepal. We are trying to find a small gift to give to the women at READ Nepal when we have our closing ceremony for our English class. We got a couple of idea, but came home empty handed. As we got out of the taxi, we saw this man sitting on the step of the little shop by our corner. I'm sure his load was heavy and he needed a rest. I'm not sure what he was carrying - goods of some kind for sale. When I asked him if I could take his picture, he nodded his head yes. And of course they always like to see the photo. They don't get to do that often., Notice the strap on his arm. When he get's up to go, that strap will go around his forehead.


22 May 2012

We woke up to things being pretty quiet again today. I hope these bandh’s don’t continue much longer. We could go stir crazy.  Sometimes it takes something like these bandh’s to really make a person stop and think about the many freedom's we enjoy. The political strikes go on day after day and it’s taking a toll on the the whole country. Protestors block the roads and don’t allow any wheeled vehicles to move. That includes anything with wheels: car, buses, motorcycles and even the street peddlers with their little carts. Protestors have started motorcycles, buses, and cars on fire. They have especially targeted the press for some reason or the other. For us, we have just been counseled to avoid any kind of gathering and to keep a low profile. With all that stuff going on, I’m more than happy to stay at home, though it gets a little boring.

Elder Rempp called us on Skype. They have had their farewell and will be set apart in a couple of days and enter the MTC on the 28th. They have talked to the Mendenhall’s (the couple coming in August) and are going to meet them while they are at the MTC. They sure seem excited and we are happy for them. We have no doubts that the work in Nepal will be in good hands and continue to move forward.

Today it’s been a bit of a challenge to be very productive. Neither of us has accomplished a whole lot. We’ve done some reading and have even put a few things in a suitcase.

21 May 2012

Another bandh day. From the news reports yesterday, things were pretty bad. There were motorcycles burnt, people harassed and beaten. Many press vehicles were destroyed. The newspaper said the Strike on Sunday was probably the most violent bandh called by any ethnic group in recent times. And it isn’t over.

During a bandh, marketplaces, factories, educational institutions, offices and public transport service comes to a standstill. Continuous shutdowns have triggered a shortage of essential foodstuffs and medicines in various parts of the country while people in need of medical attention and different state services have not been able to access it, largely due to the shutdown of all transportation.   

It is a little scary. The ongoing political strikes are really getting old. We are stuck at home and there are things we would much rather be doing as we try to wrap things up before going home.

Today, I’ve worked on my life story again, going through journals from 1980-81. It’s been kind of fun to read and reminisce what happened those many years ago. Gene has spent quite a bit of time working on his talk for when we return home. We’ve also done some reading.

Brother Patch stopped in tonight on his way home from work. Of course, with the bandh, he was on foot. It was just a social call – They are just such a wonderful family and they have been very kind to us. We hope we can stay in touch.

20 May 20, 2012

It happened! The streets are very quiet today and there is another bandh. And it started early – like 5:0000 AM.

We have taken care of a few emails and mission stuff, but by 10:30, pretty much had it taken care of. Rakesh did drop by and told Gene he should talk to Mr. Rimal at SWC. Gene called him while Rakesh was here – but he was busy so Gene had to call back. When he got him, Mr Rimal said that no one from SWC would be able to attend the PAC Meeting on May 23rd and we would need to reschedule. They don’t want to schedule anything until after the first of the month. Gene did tell him that we are leaving Nepal and would like to get the meeting done before we leave. He seemed okay with that.

Rakesh said he feels that we are in for some difficult days ahead. He said this is as bad as it’s ever been in Nepal. The parties are having a hard time coming together and he thought things would be difficult for a while. It makes me sad as I think of all the innocent people affected. People trying to make a living in the transportation sector, business, food vendors and it just affects everyone.  It is a hard time to live in Nepal. We pray for a speedy consensus and that they can sign a constitution that would be for the good of the people in Nepal.

Gene had to call the different ministries telling them the PAC Meeting was being rescheduled and when we have a day, we would let them know. Wow! It just makes us wonder what’s ahead for this country. We have loved being here, but just wonder what will happen. There are so many people who are unhappy with the government.

This afternoon, I spent quite a bit of time writing in my life story. I’m now to the point where I can refer to my journals and that’s a big help. I’m trying to decide just what to include. I want to put in faith promoting experiences and my love for the gospel.

About 5:30, traffic started to move a bit, so Gene and I walked over to Bhat Bhateni’s. The big gate was closed but we could get in the small gate. They weren’t as busy as I thought they would be. We did pick up a few things. However, their breads and produce section were pretty bare. I think we will be okay for a while, but I hope it doesn’t go on for weeks. It could be a trial

No comments: