8 June 2012
| A smile a mile wide - so happy to have his USA Visa! |
Nick went for his interview at the American Embassy this morning
at 8:00. I talked with him the other day about being prompt and making a good
first impression. I also suggested he have a prayer before he goes, that
Heavenly Father would help him. Well, he came in with a great big smile on his
face. He got his Visa! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!! His visa was the R-1 category
which means a religious worker. He said the woman only asked him four or five
questions. She asked how long he had been a member of the church. Are others in
his family members? They asked him who is the founder of the church? Who is the
President today? Who were Joseph Smith's friends? He answered 'Oliver Cowdery,
Martin Harris, and Hyrum Smith.' The lady doing the interviewing said: 'And
Brigham Young'. Nick replied 'of course, Brigham Young.'
He is so very excited. His smile today is about as big as the day he got his call. He will return to the Embassy on Tuesday to pick up his visa. We are happy to know ' 'This part of his Mission is accomplished.'
He is so very excited. His smile today is about as big as the day he got his call. He will return to the Embassy on Tuesday to pick up his visa. We are happy to know ' 'This part of his Mission is accomplished.'
We left this morning about 10:30 and went over to READ
Nepal for the closing ceremony of our English Class. We weren’t sure what the
traffic situation was going to be today because there is a huge Political Rally
downtown. Rakesh said traffic would move, but would be very heavy with lots of
buses and cars coming to the Rally.
We went on back roads and arrived there just fine. I
wanted to get there a little early to sign the certificates, but one of the
office staff was just taking them to Sanjana to sign. Her baby is sick and she
won’t be there today. After the program started, she came back and I was
signing certificates during the program.
We did have a wonderful time today. A few of the women
brought us a small gift. I kind of hate to see them do that as I know money is
in short supply here. But I also know we have to be gracious receivers and we
tried to be. The thought is very kind and we appreciate their efforts so much.
The program was a little late in starting but it was
great. Sushma was the one conducting the meeting. She probably has the best
English of all the women. They had a few speakers and a couple of dance numbers
which we enjoyed very much. They did ask Laxmi to share a few thoughts and she
did well. I’m so glad they asked her. It was a little scary for her, but at the
same time, she enjoyed it and it was good for her.
| I connected with Rita. |
| And Sarita, rita, Sita, Sushma, Joshana and Anjoli |
| Beautiful customes and dance. |
I gave the speech representing Latter Day Saint
Charities. I told them how they had stolen our hearts and how much we
appreciated the opportunity to get to know and love them. I encouraged them to
continue to learn and practice the English language. I told them they would
always be in our hearts and that we were taking home many wonderful memories of
them. It has been a highlight of our mission.
After the
ceremony we took lots of pictures and gave lots of hugs. I will truly miss some
of them. We got very close to them and we are happy to call them our friends.
Tonight Lazy
Gringo
7 June 2012
Thursday already! Laxmi and I walked over to pick up the photos of
our English class, then walked over to a pharmacy and picked up the pills for
“The Bomb”. Dr Heiner in Hong Kong, the mission doctor said they suggest it for
those who have served in Asia. It will clean out our system. We have so much
going on, that we’ve decided to wait until we get home to take it. But we
wanted to get it here. For pills for Gene and I and a couple of tubes of cold
sore medicine it was 270 rupees – less than $4.oo.
We went to READ Nepal again today. We just did one class today and
there were about 28 women there. I think that’s all of them. Gene presented
information on employment and how to prepare to better compete for jobs.
Unemployment is about 40% and jobs are hard to come by. Hopefully these women,
who are mostly housewives won’t have to find jobs, but you never know. Things
can change so quickly. Things went well. We did talk about making a good first
impression and identifying you skills….stuff we learned at the Employment
Resource Center in Logan. Hopefully, we gave them something to think about.
| Elder Esplin sharing some employment info. |
| The women are very comfortable sitting on the floor. |
I called Debbie to see if she wanted to go with me. I had told
Gene I really felt we should get a gift for Laxmi from Latter Day Saint
Charities for helping us at READ Nepal. She brought Rukmina with her and we
went to Ashan Bazaar. Rukmina said Lawmi had said before how she would like a Pashmina
Shawl. I had no idea what to get so appreciated the suggestion. This Bazaar is
a crazy place. I don’t know how Rukmina ever found the place. We walked through
a little dark doorway and wound around a little bit and all the sudden is this
Pashmina shop. They had lots of Pashmina. We did find a pretty turquoise one
and bought it.
Debbie asked the shopkeeper if they were woven on machines and he
said ‘oh, no, all by hand.’ He said they had a factory about 7 km outside the
city and invited her to come and see. They will definitely do that. And it
would be fun. Debbie also asked if they killed the yaks. He said no, no. He
showed us a picture of a yak. It looked a bit like shearing sheep. The hair is
quite long and they trim it short. No killing of the yaks.
Gene went to PEC Meeting and I did a couple of pages in the Branch
History. Gene returned and Pres. Bishnu picked us up and took us to his place
for dinner. It was lovely. They are a wonderful family and have been good to
us. He brought us home. It’s been a busy day and a long one.
6 June 2012
How lucky I am that makes saying goodbye so hard. Winnie the Pooh
I saw this quote on Facebook this morning and thought it was
perfect for us as we think about saying Goodbye to Nepal and the many friends
we have made here.
When I got up, Laxmi was in the kitchen and had stired up 3X the
breadstick recipe. It looked like a lot. I was mostly moral support. We got
them all in the pans and in the fridge. Then I walked with her over to the
Chowk. We took some photos of our English class in to be printed for the women.
Then we went and bought some produce to
make a cabbage salad.
| buying cabbage at the market - notice the scales. . |
When we got back, Gene and I caught a taxi and headed down to the
Social Welfare Council with the PAC Meeting minutes. Mr. Basnet was in Mr.
Kumar’s office and told us to wait. We did – for 20 minutes or so and then were
able to see Mr. Kumar. He skimmed over the minutes and then he initialed and
stamped them. That makes it possible for us to now get copies made and handed
out to all those who were at the meeting. Then we can check that off the list.
Whoopee!
| Some of the Relief Society Sisters at the Farewell Party |
We came home, had a little lunch and then I helped Laxmi make the
cabbage salad. It looks yummy. We baked the breadsticks and they turned out
great!. We walked over, helping to carry all the food for the party. It was a
farewell party for Gene and I. Just Relief Society Sisters were invited. Gene
was the only man there. It was great. Laxmi gave a little tribute to Gene and I
and it was very nice.
Gene and I took a few minutes to express some thoughts. Then we
had a lovely meal, which was a pasta salad, a cabbage salad, and breadsticks
with Black Forest cake for dessert. Quite a few of the sisters wanted to have
their picture taken with us and that was fun too.
It’s been a wonderful day. The week ahead looks to be pretty busy.
I’m okay with that. It will be fun.
5 June 2012
I read in bed for a little bit. Of course, I woke up about 5:15
am. After reading my scriptures, I read in Pres. Monson’s book. I’m about 85%
through it and will probably have it finished by the time we go home.
I had hoped to get my hair done fairly early but not early enough
as the power went out. So I thought I’d better get it washed so it could air
dry. Good thing I did. I fixed some French toast for breakfast and by 8:00,
Elder Bogati was here. Judy, from Hong Kong, had sent a bunch of stuff for him via
email and he needed to have some things scanned in and send it back to her. It
is all stuff for is visa for the UK.
Soon Sajana came. She was going with Anu and me over to get Anu’s
physical and her dental done for her missionary application. Anu soon came and
we took time to fill out her application before we went to the clinic. We were
able to finish it – then went to the clinic where she paid the fee for ex-rays,
a couple of lab tests and will need to go back on Thursday to pick up the
results and see the doctor. The cost for today’s visit was 1200 rupees or about $14. Couldn’t
do that at home for that price.. .
| At the Clinic where the missionaries go. . . |
| A separate little room for everything - you wait outside. |
| Sajana helping Anu with her Missionary Application. |
| Anu Lama - filling our missionary papers. |
Gene, Nick and Rajesh came around the corner. Gene had been with
Nick to the Nabil Bank where he paid the visa fee for the USA. It was $190. He
has an appointment for his visa interview. It will be Friday morning at 8:00
am. I think we are about there as far as his visa goes. Hopefully the interview
will go well.
Sajana went with Anu to the Kantipur Dental Clinic to get her
dental part of the application. I appreciated Sajana doing that. I gave them
money but didn’t feel like they needed me to go.
Gene and I went over to Deppong’s. I thought I had solved the
mystery of her movie. I plugged in the thumb drive and there it was. It was
beautiful and she was so happy. I copied it onto her desktop. Then I brought
her thumb drive home because she wanted a copy of our movie. Later when she
tried to pull up the movie, it wouldn’t play. I’m not sure what is going on.
Maybe for some reason the thumb drive needs to be in. I think we will try and
burn it onto a DVD. That would be nice.
Ollie went back to the Cewick Clinic to have some more Basel cell
carcinoma taken off. Debbie called a couple of hours later and things went
pretty well. A plastic surgeon had come and he did the surgery. She said they
did take a pretty good chunk out of his cheek. Hopefully they got it all this
time.
Rakesh stopped by this afternoon. He did have one small change for
the PAC Meeting minutes but he said they looked good. We will take them in
tomorrow to the Social Welfare Council, get them signed and stamped and then
make copies for everyone who attended. Rakesh will help get them to the members
of the Ministries. Oh, it will be so good to have that done.
Our calendar for this last week is really filling up. I am glad –
busy is good.
4
June 2012
Wow!
A busy Day! We began by talking with Alison for a few minutes. They have just
returned from Helena where Paul’s brother Mark’s daughter was baptized. It was
a quick trip for them, but they had a good time. Alison even stopped in to see
my sister Enid. She was so surprised to see Alison. I wasn’t sure she would
know who she was.
About
7:00 Skype was ringing and it was Elder and Sister Brown, along with the
Deppong’s. Browns wanted to tell us that they had met the Rempp’s, and the
Mendenhall’s to fill them in on the wheelchairs in Nepal. They said they are so
excited and anxious to come.
Then
it was time to go to English. I wanted to stop at the little market over there
and pick up some candy for treats for a little game we were playing. English
went well. We had big classes today. We did ask the women if they would be
interested in having another class on Thursday. It would be about Employment
and how to prepare to find a job. Most of the women are housewives, but I told
them that life can change so quickly and you never know when you might need to
return or enter the workplace. They seemed excited to come and learn about it.
We will have both classes at one time – 11:00. I’m thinking we will have a big
group. One woman asked if she could bring her daughter. She is getting ready to
go to the USA soon and the woman thought it would really be good for her. We
told her to bring her along.
| They always wanted pictures taken |
| This woman gave Gene a nice vest and hat & me handbags. |
We
came home and had lunch and then Gene and I tried to finish up the minutes for
the PAC Meeting. Rakesh called this morning and asked how we were coming with
them. I’m glad he checks up on us. The minutes have got to take priority and we
need to get them handed in.
Maya
and Sajana called and they were at the Police Station still trying to get their
refunds from the beauty school. Finally today they did get some cash back – not
as much as they should have, but some and I think they were happy about that.
We are happy as well. They will give us the money and we will l put it up until
they decide which school they want to go to and then the money will go toward
tuition at the school.
It wasn’t long and Rajesh Bogati came. Judy from Bangalore had
sent him some things to do with his visa and we needed to help him. Also Nick
came and we finished his visa application online. Tomorrow Gene will go with
him to pay the fee at the bank and set up the appointment for his interview.
Then hopefully, he will get his visa. Elder Bogati still needs to enter
information online and we hope to get his visa soon.
About 6:00 Kiran from CHOICE came. He needed to pick up a couple
of checks. Gene got to write checks for close to two million rupees today. We
won’t be doing that much longer. We really like Kiran. He was such a big help
with the minutes for the PAC Meeting. We just had a good visit with him
tonight.
It’s been a long day and a lot has happened. Tomorrow’s looking
pretty full too. Doesn’t look like we will coast to the finish line. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment