Monday, June 11, 2012


11 June 2012

We talk to Bart, Clay, Chad and Konnie and Alison this morning. Clay said it was his last Skype call to Nepal. Seems impossible. We enjoyed talking to each of them and them seem excited to have us coming home. We are excited to see them as well.

Gene and I weighed some of our bags. I had thought I could go shopping but after seeing the bags were at the weight limit, knew I better not buy much. Debbie, Laxmi and I went to Thamel. Knowing I was at the weight limit really  made me watch what I bought. We’ve sent a bunch of stuff home already. I did find a couple more watercolor paintings that I really like. They are in a tube and are lightweight and don’t take up much space.

We came home from Thamel and put a few more things in the suitcase. Then we went to the Indrini Café and had lunch with Rakesh and Karishma. Karishma is the young woman who just got married. We work with her on water projects through the Trust.It was nice to see her again. Rakesh told us she had just been appointed to a government health board of some kind. Good for her.

Elder Esplin, Karishma Shrestha and Sister Esplin
The rest of the afternoon I’ve put a couple more Branch history pages together. I received a couple more temple stories and have typed them up and put the pages together. Actually, it’s been kind of fun.

10 June 2012

This morning Dipak picked us up about 8:00. Kiran was here and then we went to pick up Elder and Sister Deppong. We drove out to Dhulikhel to see the progress on the overhead tank one more time. They are coming right along. All the scaffolding from last time is down and they are forming the walls.So still need to pour the walls and then the dome over the top. It looks like they have a ways to go. It will probably be the first of the year before it’s completed.
Last time we were in Dhulikhel, I talked with a young father who lived close by the water tank. I took a photo of him with his little daughter and his wife. I printed it and took it to them. He wasn’t at home, but the wife and grandparents were. I got Dipak to translate for me and they were all smiles to see the picture. They’ve probably never had a picture of themselves before.
Grandpa and Grandma with a sister
This little girl was camera shy
When we walked to their humble home, I saw the woman and she was rubbing her teeth with her index finger. I asked Rakesh about it and he said people out in the rural areas often ‘brush’ their teeth using their finger with a little bit of ‘coal, or burnt wood’. Or sometimes a little gritty mud or sand. I guess there are lots of options, but I like Colgate.

Then we went to the Dhulikhel water treatment plant. It was quite interesting. They filter the water through small rocks, then sand and then through a water treatment plant where it is chlorinated and made safe to drink. That’s better than here in Kathmandu where everyone drinks bottled water.

The ride today was beautiful. That’s a pretty part of the country and we had a good time.

When we came home Laxmi is really into cleaning house. I think she wants to have everything sparkling when the new missionaries get here. I don’t blame her.

Deppong’s picked us up about 6:30 and we went over to Rakesh’s home for dinner. He cooked himself – not Nepali – but American food, things like spaghetti, corn, chicken, green beans and carrots and Black Forest Cake for dessert. His sister, Dr. Rita, the pediatrician, was also there. We had a nice visit and it was nearly ten o’clock by the time we got home. That’s late for us being out.

9 June, 2012

Every time I write the date I have to remind myself that it’s June. I want to write May. It’s hard to believe today was our last Sabbath in Nepal. I surely have mixed emotions – knowing we will never be back nor see these wonderful people again. Yet I realize there is no place like home and I’m anxious to see loved ones again.

Church today was interesting. Just before the meeting began, Pres. Bishnu came to us and said ‘this is your last Sabbath in Nepal?’ He knew it was, but said he has just been so busy that hadn’t gotten everything taken care of. We had thought it a little odd that they hadn’t asked us to speak, but I remember when Subhadra left for her mission, not a word was said about her going – so I was okay with that. Well, he did ask if we would take some time in Sacrament Meeting and share our testimonies. As happens often, only two of the four assigned speakers showed up, so we had plenty of time to share our testimonies and say goodbye.

As church started, the generator went off. A couple of the men went out to see if they could get it started, but no luck. I’m not sure if they were out of petro or what, but the rest of the meeting was without any power at all. It quickly warmed up in the room and it was HOT! Windows were opened but it was hot outside, so that didn’t help. To these people it’s an everyday thing.

There was a baptism after the block. Sarita’s mom (she married Tim Heath) was baptized. Sarita really wanted her to join the church before she (Sarita) left Nepal. Tim is an American and he had to go back to the USA and get a job in order to get a visa or a green card for Sarita. She is leaving soon to join him in Hawaii.  Her mom only speaks Nepali and lives quite a distance from the church. I was a little surprised they baptized her as she lives a 20 hour bus ride from Kathmandu and won’t be able to attend church again.

This afternoon Dipak, the auditor came and spent about two and a half hours with Gene, getting the financial stuff all in order. We like him and I think he likes us. After he left, Gene said that’s one more thing he can check off the list.

It’s been so hot today and Gene said the humidity is about 65%. No wonder it feels so hot. Everyone is anxiously waiting for the monsoon season to begin.

No comments: