Monday, June 25, 2012


25 June 2012

I know it's taken a long time to update our blag. There's been a lot going on, let alone jet lag and trying to adjust the body clocks. Arriving in Kathmandu, we really didn't experience jet lag, so this has been a new ball game for us. I think we are getting on top of things. We have had a house full of company, and we've loved every minute of it. Families are so wonderful and we love and appreciate ours, their strength and support is really appreciated. This post will end our blog. We hope you have been able to get a taste of what we've been involved in. It's been a wonderful experience for us and we express our gratitude and love to our Father in Heaven and thank Him for the opportunity we have had to represent Him and our older brother Jesus Christ. We have been blessed so abundantly. If anyone out there is thinking about serving a mission, we encourage you to go - - - you will never regret it and the Lord will bless you. He has us and we acknowledge those blessings.
 
24 June 2012 Sunday

This morning we went to the Stake Center and reported our mission  to the Stake Presidency and High Council. I don’t know why but I was pretty nervous. President Stahli welcomed us and introduced the High Council. We know most of them and soon felt at ease. Pres. Stahli shared a letter from Pres. Jackson. I almost wondered who he was talking about. It was very complimentary and we appreciate it so much. We both shared our testimonies and a couple of experiences from our mission. It was a wonderful experience.

We returned and it was time to go to the church. It was good to see so much family and many dear friends. We were surprised when Elder and Sister Christiansen from Provo and Elder and Sister Bradshaw from Beaver walked in. We didn’t know they were coming and really appreciated their being there. They had both previously served in Nepal. Also our whole Stake Presidency was there. And we appreciate their support.

 We felt good about our meeting. We didn’t have a lot of time, but were able to share a little about the Branch and about the temple trip, mainly GC’s story. Gene shared a bit more about Elder Adhikari and about some of the Humanitarian work. It was so hard to decide what to share.
Our children and spouses ...oh how we love them!
My siblings and spouses - all but one brother.
Gene and I, Sister / Elder Christiansen and Sister / Bradshaw
Our kids had planned a Brunch for family and friends. Konnie spearheaded it and it was wonderful. We sure do appreciate her and all that she did to help us. We had a good crowd here and enjoyed good food and visiting. After dinner we showed our little movie to those who wanted to see it and they seemed to enjoy it. We have had wonderful day.

23 June 2012 Saturday

Today we went with Brent to the Verizon store. Gene and I both got iPhones. I can hardly believe it. Now to learn how to use it. 
We have a house full with Jason and Tiffany and kids and Brent. Clay and Sam and Family came this afternoon. Our kids were all here for dinner. Stacey, Makayla, Hallie, and the Ricks family were also here. We had sweet and sour chicken over rice, rolls and brownies with ice cream for dessert. We had a good time visiting and then watch our movie that we made about Nepal.

It was after ten o’clock by the time we went to bed. I’m hoping for a good night’s sleep. It’s going to be a big day tomorrow.

22 June 2012

It’s been a little quieter today and we are starting to feel like we are getting on top of the jet lag thing.
This afternoon I’ve tried to work on the talk a little more and l feel that it’s starting to come together. It’s just so hard, we have had so many wonderful experiences – just what to share? I’m praying for inspiration.

21 June 2012

I woke up just after three and got up shortly after 3:30. I’ still trying to put thoughts together for Sunday. I sort of have some ideas, but nothing definite. Today just trying to get back in the swing of things. It's really strange not to have your day planned out for you and things you need to take care of. I'm not sure I like having 'free time.' I will need to get used to this.

We did go to Logan for the CT scan on my ear. Of course they don't tell you anything and we will have to wait till we see the doctor again on Tuesday next week. 

We did stop in the Frame Shop to see Sue and she was so excited to see us. It was good to see her too and catch up a little on what's going on in her world.

20 June 2012 Wednesday

Gene and I went to the temple early this morning. We were there for the 7:00 session. No one had told me they had redone the waiting area and I thought I was in the wrong place for a minute. It’s bigger and it’s beautiful. There’s an organ there and music quietly playing while you wait for the session. It was so good to be in the temple.We were only able to go once during our mission and that was when we went to Manila with some of our branch members.

19 June 2012

I slept better after taking some Melatonin but still I was just so tired today. I will be glad to get my body clock adjusted. I have been walking early in the mornings with Alison. We’ve walked up to Meikles and back. The valley is beautiful and green and the air is clear. You can see the mountains on all sides. Very Nice!

This morning Gene went with me to see Dr. Blotter about my ear. I did have a hearing test and he looked in it. After the exam he said I could still have some fluid or infection in my ear and wanted me to do a CT bone scan. We made an appointment for Thursday and then another doctor appointment for next Tuesday.

Gene did call Church Travel about the $400 charge for our additional bags. We had thought since it was an international flight we could each have two bags and a carry on. But since our flight out of Kathmandu was on Jet Airlines only to Delhi, they said one bag. Church travel said the mission our reimburse us for the charge. That was good news.

We ran a few errands, going in to WalMart for the first time since coming back. It’s a little overwhelming to see so much stuff. We still are amazed and just know we take soooo much for granted.

We are going to bed fairly early and find that we are tired at the end of the day.

18 June 2012

I didn’t sleep much last night. It seems that I woke up about every hour and had a hard time getting back to sleep. Then I woke again about three. About four, Gene rolled over and told me I just as well get up and work on my talk. I did. I started putting some thoughts together, but it’s just so overwhelming. There’s no way I can cover half of what I would like to. So, I guess I just need to prioritize and decide what I want to share.

Alison opened the back door about 5:45 and asked if I would like to go for a walk. I said yes, that I was waiting for her. We walked up the road and then turned in and walked through the new subdivision on top of the hill. There are a few new houses. Smithfield is growing

Today has been a different day for me. I just have been so tired and no energy or motivation. I hope I can attribute it to jet lag and I hope I can get over it pretty quickly. I feel there’s quite a bit to do before Saturday and I just don’t have the get up and go.

17 June 2012

It’s been a wonderful day but it’s now 8:15 pm and I’m pretty tired. Gene was up pretty early and had gone for a walk. I woke up about 5:45 am and actually had a pretty good night’s sleep. I got in the shower and again, the shower feels really nice.

We walked to church this morning. It has been a beautiful day, sunshine and clear blue skies. We can see the mountains and its green and such a contrast to Nepal. We are loving being home, but still, the heartstrings tug us and we miss the people there.

It was good to see ward members and friends. We stayed for Sacrament Meeting. The speaker was a returned missionary who had been home for five years. He said there aren’t that many returned missionaries and encouraged young men to serve and said it’s one of the very best decisions they will ever make. We enjoyed his talk and know we will soon be on the speaking schedule.

We came home after Sacrament Meeting and went to Mendon to attend church with Chad and Konnie and family. Our grandson, Jaxton turned 12 yesterday and was being ordained a Deacon today. What a special young man. We are so proud of him. He’s making the right decisions and will be prepared and ready to serve a mission. Chad and Konnie are doing the right things with their sons. They are good boys.

16 June 16, 2012 Saturday

Actually, I slept pretty good. We were up fairly early and went to the Stake Center to meet with President Stahli and be released as full time missionaries. We had a wonderful visit with him. He did share with us a letter he had received from Pres. Jackson our mission president. We wondered who Pres. Jackson was talking about. We do appreciate his kindness.  

He did say that we would be asked to speak in the wards in our stake. Pres Stahli asked that we be bold in telling people how great it is to serve as senior missionaries. We had told him that with Skype and being able to talk with family often, there is really no excuse for not serving a mission. The Lord prepares a way and there is such a need for couples with so many options available.

After returning home, Gene and I changed clothes and then went to Lee’s Supermarket to get a few groceries. What fun as we walked up and down the aisles looking at all the produce and stuff in the store, all so orderly and looking great. It was a bit overwhelming.

We spent the rest of the day trying to get things put away and emptying out the suitcases. There’s a lot of wash to do and it just takes time.  It is nice to be home.

15 June 2012

It was a long layover in New Delhi. We did have to wait in the transfer area for a couple of hours before we could get to the main part of the airport. By then we were ready for a bite to eat and went to McDonalds. That’s not my favorite place, but it seemed to be the best option. We still have about four more hours and found a quiet corner, but it’s hard to get much sleep in the airport.  Things were pretty uneventful as we waited to board the plane. We were quite far back and the seats were like a sardine can. We were pretty squished. We did have two seats on the side so that was good. We were both able to catch a little sleep on the flight and that was good.

When we arrived in Paris, it was raining. We disembarked and had to run to catch a bus to come inside the airport. We got a little wet. We came in the main terminal and then had to catch another bus to take us to a different terminal and we finally found our gate. It wasn’t too bad, but we think of Nick and wonder how that young man will navigate his way around. I think he will be fine.

Again, it was wait for a couple more hours to board the plane and then it’s Salt Lake City, here we come. We will be happy to get home.

When we went through security before boarding the plane to Salt Lake, they wanted me to open my suitcase and said there were some scissors in my bag. I was puzzled and couldn’t think of any scissors. We opened the bag and couldn’t find any. Finally we unloaded everything in the bag and they ex-rayed it again, they could still see scissors, but couldn’t find them. Finally, finally, they had it narrowed to one specific spot. There was just a little red first aid kit full of band aids and gauze pads. Inside that was a little pair of scissors, about 5 inches long. Everyone was very good about it and it was kind of like ‘where’s Waldo?” They did keep the scissors. I was glad the lines were short. We didn’t really hold anything up.

Patiently waiting for us
Gene getting a warm welcome from son Chad
A warm embrace and welcome for his mom... special!

So nice to have Porter and Jaxton care for our bags. Thanks!
The welcoming committee-so good to see them.
We arrived in Salt Lake right on time. It took a little time to get through customs and then we walked out to cheers and kids there to welcome us. It was so good to see everyone and so good to be back home. We took a couple of pictures and then the guys took out baggage out to the van. We rode with Alison to Layton where we all stopped at Red Robin for lunch. I wasn’t all that hungry but ate anyway. We had a good time. Then Gene and I rode to Mendon with Chad and Konnie where we picked up our car. Chad had licensed it for us and we were good to drive home. Chad said that Paul had asked him if he thought we would be okay driving home...Yeah! It’s good to be on wide roads with painted lines….and organized traffic….even though it’s going really fast.

It was good to drive through Smithfield. There’s not many changes – things looked great. It was so nice to walk in the house. I hesitated just a moment when I turned on the water and realized I could drink straight from the tap. And I can’t describe how nice it was to wash my hands in warm water. So many little things that we take for granted.

We were so tired that bed just sounded great. I don’t think it will take long to fall asleep.

14 June 2012

We are sitting in the Delhi airport with a seven hour layover – time to catch up on the events of the day.
I slept until 4:30 am. Gene was already up and I got up about 4:45, thinking Rempp’s were probably up. They weren’t. We checked email and that kind of stuff. They came down about 7:15. We talked more and went over more information.

Last night we got an email from Sis. Jackson saying that Elder Bogati had an appointment with the British Embassy on Monday, June 18th. They had sent his application to Pres. Bishnu and hoped that it would get there in time. We hope so too but now someone else will worry about getting it done. Sister Jackson said it would cost lots of money and said for him to be prepared to pay. We turned all this over to the Rempp’s.

Gene took Elder and Sister Rempp to the bank and over to the Social Welfare Council to introduce them. At the bank, they wouldn’t accept the power of Attorney letter because it didn’t have the Notary Stamp on it and also in order to put Sister Rempp on the account, the letter had to include her name. Gene called and had me send an email to Elder Meehan seeing if he could get one. When they got back, we Skyped him and he had a couple of options, one being a Chinese chop with a Chinese signature. We won’t know how that went, if they accepted it or not.

Nick and Chris came to say goodbye, Sarita and Sarea came.Rakesh came and Pres. Bishnu came to load our luggage and take us to the airport. I’ve been a little nervous today, not sure why – and a few butterflies in my tummy.

We left for the airport about 1:00. Elder and Sister Deppong’s, Hari and Rukmina, Laxmi and Manoj were there to say goodbye. We were surprised to see Manoj. He looked good and was happy. He seems like a very nice young man. We took a few pictures and then Gene and I were on our way with all our bags. We thought the hardest part of our trip would be getting out of Kathmandu.

As soon as we went in to check our bags, the challenge was on. We were surprised when we were allowed one checked bag each. We had to pay $200 each for our other two bags. $400. Wow! No options but to pay it. We weren’t very happy.

The flight was on time and uneventful. We arrived in Delhi and had to wait aver two hours in the transfer area. That’s not any fun. It was 8:00 when we got through security and finally, we were in the nice part of the airport. We went to McDonalds and had a sandwich and now we will wait another three more hours before it’s time to board the plane to Paris. It’s going to be a LONG trip home. But we are anxious, ready to be on our way.

No comments: