Sunday, January 16, 2011


January 16, 2011

Well, here we are, just two weeks left before we enter the MTC and begin what we are sure will be the adventure of a lifetime. We just can't wait to get on that plane and after a very long flight, arrive in Kathmandu.We have heard many people say that nothing can really prepare you for the sight, sounds, and smells of Nepal. We are anxious to experience that, and the sooner the better.

It's been a good couple of weeks for us. We have been to town numerous times, picking up things we think we might need to take. That's been the hardest part, just really knowing what we should take. I guess what we don't take and can't get there, we can probably do without. Gene keeps telling me we should just look at this as a 78 week backpacking trip. The thing is, I know he's a lot better at backpacking than I am. Actually I think we are getting close and to look at the table downstairs all loaded with different 'stuff', you would think we are about ready.

This week we have had the opportunity of talking via Skype with Elder and Sister Sackley. They are in Hong Kong and are our Area Welfare Supervisors. They are great people and it was fun to talk to them. They told us they had received via email, a copy of our passports and visa's. We were glad to hear that. We didn't know that the visa's had been issued and were in the hands of the Travel Department. So, knowing we won't have to wait for visa's makes us happy.

Last night we talked with Elder and Sister Deppong in Kathmandu. We visited with them via Skype for over an hour. (Technology really amazes me and as we sat here in our cozy home and talked with them half way around the world, I can hardly comprehend how it all works.) They shared some of the things they have been involved in and some of the things we would be doing together. I think we will get along great and look forward to working together.

One of my concerns has been how I will keep warm during the winter there. Sister Deppong said I would be fine. She said it's really not too bad and there is a little propane heater that they take into a room and shut the door. She told me that she had 'cooked' two skirts but backing a little too close to the heater and melting holes in them. And then to get a new one, you have to go to one shop and find some fabric and then go to another shop where they will make you a new one. They don't have patterns so you have to tell them what you want. All the time you have to be prepared to barter as far as the price goes. They told us to always take our 'deedee' with us. That is the woman who will be employed by us as our guard and will do our cleaning and washing, ect. Poor us, we will have to do our own cooking. (Just Kidding!)

Actually, I won't know how to act, having someone clean and take care of us. I know I will feel like I have to clean before I can let her clean. Deppong's tell us she is a wonderful woman and that we will quickly love her. She lives in a small home on the same property we will be on. There is also a man who takes care of the yard. Our deedee pays him out of her wage. It's going to be interesting to see how all this works out.

We are sure this week will fly by. Jason, Tiffany and their family will be here on Friday and Brent will also fly in on Friday evening. All our kids and grand kids will be here on Saturday. We will have a special day on Saturday as our oldest grand daughter Hannah, will be baptized and our newest grand daughter, Kinley will be blessed. That will be a wonderful day. Then on Sunday Gene and I will speak in Church and we will have friends and family around that day too. We are so appreciative of the love and support we are seeing all around us.We are so grateful for the opportunity we are going to have to serve this mission in Nepal and only hope we will be able to accomplish what the Lord would have us do. So please, keep us in your prayers.

No comments: