31 March 2012 Saturday
We got ready for church and met Brown’s over by the Chowk to show them the way to church. Our meetings were great today. When we arrived we saw Nick and he had a huge grin on his face. People in the Branch are so excited as they’ve never had an Elder called to serve outside of India. People were slapping him on the back and it was fun to be part of the excitement.
One of the hymns we sang today was ‘Lord, I Would Follow Thee.’ As we were singing, I felt the Spirit and felt impressed that this describes what we are doing and how I feel right now. I leaned over and mentioned it and Gene and he said he was having the same thoughts.
Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown
Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee, Lord, I would follow thee.
Who as I to judge another When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden, Sorrow that the eye can’t see
Who am I to judge another, Lord I would follow thee
I would be my brother’s keeper, I would learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary, I would show a gentle heart
I would be my brothers keeper…Lord I would follow thee.
Savior, may I love my brother, As I know thou lovest me.
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, for thy servant I would be.
Savior, May I love my brother…Lord I would follow thee.
One of our speakers today was a young man who I’ve thought was good prospective missionary. We talked to him before the meeting and he had a cute young woman with him. He introduced her as his wife. He was married a few days ago. She is not a member. (Which broke my heart, we have so many cute returned missionaries in the Branch who would love to get married) It sounds like it was an arranged marriage. This young man’s father wanted him to get married and thus stop his thoughts of going on a mission. I was a little sad about that. Culture and tradition are pretty strong here and it’s hard to combat it. Rajendra seemed pretty happy and when I told him we hope to see them again, he said they would be coming every week. I hope so. His new wife doesn’t speak much English, but the members warmly welcomed her.
The concluding speaker wasn’t there today and they asked Elder and Sister Brown to share their testimonies. They did a wonderful job. After the block we did have another baptism. He is a young man about 22 years old. His cousin introduced him to church. Her name is Pushpa Sunbwad and she isn’t a member, but has been coming for over a year. Her husband works in the UK and wants to be baptized into the Protestant church. She doesn’t and they talk via Skype a lot. We will prayer for her. She told us she likes the Mormon Church and wants to become a member. Sister Brown took their names and said she would put them on the prayer roll at the temple when they return home. Meanwhile she is doing missionary work.
| Pushpa on the right and her cousin who is getting baptized |
This young man’s name is Samyukta Rai. He was baptized by Pres. Bishnu. Nick gave a baptism talk and Chandra talked on the Holy Ghost. He will be confirmed next week.
After the baptismal services, we went with Brown’s and Deppong’s to Deppong’s house and fixed some sandwiches and had a bite of lunch. Then we went to the Moonlight Café and helped set up for the wheelchair training to start tomorrow. We got home about 6:00 pm. I’m a bit tired. We will be back there about 9:00 in the morning. It’s going to be a fast and furious ten days.
30 March 2012 Friday
This morning Gene and I went to the bank. They had called about adding Sister Deppong as another authorized signature. When we got there, we met with a man and woman, both of whom we have previously met. They were a little concerned about adding a visually impaired person as a signer and explained the risks involved. They said they could do it, but she would have to bring her passport and sign the checks at the bank. She might have to use her thumbprint instead of her signature. We told them we would cancel the request as they won’t be here that much longer anyway. They were protecting the interests of LDS Charities and we expressed appreciation for that.
Then we walked over to the Radisson Hotel and it wasn’t long before Brown’s and Deppong’s arrived. We spent the day going over to the Tibetan Rug Factory where Brown’s bought a rug for their daughter. They we went to the Lazy Gringo and had lunch. After that we went to READ Nepal and talked with Raj and gave him the leper bandages that Allene’s ward had done. He was so appreciative. Then we visited there for a bit. He is an awesome guy and is always things of other things they can do to raise money for their organization. Now they are making briquettes and we watched them do that for a while. They are also selling little stoves to burn the briquettes in. They also have some solar ovens. I’m impressed with this guy. He continues to be a real Hero for me and especially for the people here in Nepal.
Then we went back to the Radisson and met with Rakesh, going over plans for the wheelchair training to begin here in Kathmandu on Sunday. We are going to be busy the next few days.
When we got home, it wasn’t long and the phone rang. It was Nick. Pres. Bishnu had received the electronic copy of his Missionary call letter. Since his call didn’t come today, Pres. Bishnu wanted Nick to have it. Nick is soooo excited. He has received a call to serve in the Minnesota, Minneapolis mission. He leaves in September. I guess it takes a long time to get the kind of visa he needs for the USA.(It's an R-1 visa and Brother Patch said they really look at those closely as many people 'want to slip-in to the USA under that designation). Everyone here can hardly believe it. Laxmi said she felt in her heart he would go to America. I’m anxious to see Nick tomorrow. He is in for one grand adventure. He will love serving there.
No comments:
Post a Comment